X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simsim
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

vBulletin API

I'm planning to run a local directory website. It will be based on a popular directory script, & should have a forum to encourage participation. I would be buying another vB license for the forums. I asked at their site if they have a module or hack to integrate vB & their script so as to have a one logging in process. They replied they don't have but it's on their to-do list, & that they need to look at vBulletin API "(if there is one)". I replied that vBulletin API is fully documented, but they need to be a licensed customer to access the documentation page.

Is there anything you can do to help developers who are not customers to access the API? Since it is accessed only in the Member Area, I won't risk exposing my License Number to others, but if I provided them with what they ask for by looking for it in the API then respond to them, would I be violating your license agreement?

Any help to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by simsim; Sun 2 Apr '06, 11:21am.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

I've been meaning to bring this up, I'll ask Kier about moving the API to a public area of the site.

In the mean time it depend son the level of authentication they are wishing to perform.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

OK. Is moving it to a public area something you all agree on & only needs to be scheduled or it needs further discussion among staff?

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

It'll need discussion/approval first.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• simsim
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.6.x

Well, my guess it will take a while before approval. So, in the mean while, the authentication level would be that every account created on the directory, creates a corresponding account on the vB forum with the same username & registeration e-mail. How hard is it to implement such an integration? And what area of the API should contain the relevant info concering this?

Thank you both for your feedback.

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

That shouldn't be too hard to do. You'll want to look in the user datamanagers.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• TheJaxx
              • Jun 2001
              • 3.6.x

is there any update to this?

I have a developer who is working with me for a new site and I dont want to risk giving out my info for him to view it.
              Jaxx
              Ahazi dot Org
              EQ2's Nektulos Community

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by TheJaxx
                is there any update to this?

I have a developer who is working with me for a new site and I dont want to risk giving out my info for him to view it.
                You're currently showing up unlicensed, sorry. Please set yourself up for free priority support before we can give you support.

Comment

• derfy
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                  You're currently showing up unlicensed, sorry. Please set yourself up for free priority support before we can give you support.
                  Linkie to the details here.

Comment

• xenyo
                    • Jun 2006
                    • 3.5.x

I have outsourced my coding to a developer and would like to give him access to the documentation but dont really want to give him my customer info. Anyway I can do this as he will be doing the coding for my current project and probably 2 more based on VBulletin.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Comment

• xenyo
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 3.5.x

Hi,

Any reply to this? It would save a lot of development time if possible.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 3.8.x

If you are refering to the Online Documentation (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/), this can be accessed without your customer information.

To get access to information that is hidden for unlicensed members on our forums, you can add his email address (the one he uses for his forum account), to the Priority Support list.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by xenyo
                          I have outsourced my coding to a developer and would like to give him access to the documentation but dont really want to give him my customer info. Anyway I can do this as he will be doing the coding for my current project and probably 2 more based on VBulletin.
                          The API documentation is actually embedded in the PHP files using phpDoc format comments. Your developer can easily create his own copy of the documentation using phpDocumenter. It would be the same as what we have made available in the members area.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• simsim
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.6.x

I see that the API is publicly accessable now! Thanks.

It should be announced however, as I've discoverd this purely unintentionally.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...