X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkmiester
    • Mar 2003
    • 3.8.x

Page cannot be displayed on Upload

Since updating to 3.05 I've noticed when uploading (attachments) medium to large files (4MB-15MB in size) whenever the upload is complete, instead of the 'Manage attachments' page refreshing and showing the attached file and upload dialogue, a 'page cannot be displayed' error (in IE 6). I should mention my server is configured to allow such larger uploads.

After that error appears, if go back to the posting page and click on 'Manage attachments', it refreshes the upload dialogue window and then I see the attached file listed.

On files that are 10MB or larger, it's very hit and miss, as far getting the files to be displayed at all after clicking 'Manage attachments' from the posting page. In most cases I simply can't succesfully upload files of that size due to the 'page cannot be displayed' error and upload dialogue not picking up that a file was just uploaded.

I'm reuploading the same file each time, and I don't get duplicate file errors, so vB doesn't appear to be recogonizing that a file was just uploaded.

As I say, it's just since 3.05 I've noticed this, I can't verify if it was happening on 3.04 as I hadn't uploaded medium-large files during that time. I do know everything was working great while on 3.03.

I've touched based with my host to see if anything has changed on their end, and am awaiting a response. But I wanted to ask here, in case there are things I can be doing to figure out what is causing this.

Thanks.
  • Freddie Bingham
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • May 2000
    • 1.1.x

Hello,

I didn't change anything in regards to attachment uploading from 3.0.3 to 3.0.5. vB doesn't know the difference between a small file and a large file, other than to tell you one is too large based on your settings. Everything is handled by Apache and PHP .. Receiving page not found for a large upload is a classic sign that one of the settings is set to small. There are a few to look at..

upload_max_filesize (php.ini)
    post_max_size (php.ini)
    max_execution_time (php.ini)
    memory_limit (php.ini)
    max_input_time (php.ini)

LimitRequestBody (httpd.conf or php.conf)
    There is also an Apache timeout setting (that escapes me right now).

It is going to be one of these setting (or some obscure setting) that is causing the problem.

Comment

• funkmiester
      • Mar 2003
      • 3.8.x

Ok, thanks. Earlier, I increased my max_input_time from 180 to 1000 and although I've still run into the issue, it's less frequent. I will look into some of those other values you listed and experiment.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I heard back from my host and nothing has changed on their end. They suggested some PHP values to look at, a couple of which you mentioned also.

I should also say when I tested a larger file (14MB) in Firefox, I didn't get the 'page cannot be displayed' (which of course is an IE specific error), but instead just the 'Manage attachments' window left in a state of still 'Uploading'. I could tell the upload completed by seeing 'Done' appear in the bottom left side of the Firefox window and also my outbound network traffic stopped. So, I clicked back over to the message editor and then clicked on the 'Manage attachments' button - which refreshed the already open upload window - and it then showed me the newly uploaded file as being attached. I then closed the window and submitted the new thread and everything was fine.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how I get on after I experiment with those PHP values.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...