X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dieKetzer
    • Jun 2000
    • 1.1.x

what's the point of passwords?

if i mark a forum as being private, then all usergroups aren't allowed to access, yeah? but the vb3 manual says this about passwording a forum:
    If a user knows the password but is in a usergroup that is not allowed to access that forum, the user will not be allowed to access it.

so i have to wonder what the point of having a password is?
    so passwords can only be used on public forums? what's the point in that? if the forum is public then a person wont even be asked for a password, and if the forum is private the password will never work?

another question: in vb2 the bbs insisted on granting moderators access to all forums, private or not. it took a bit of hacking to not have moderators automatically granted access to private forums that were created. is this still the case in vb3?
    Into the Void

Forum passwords where added by request, like you I do not see much point in them, mabey a guess the forum password and win a prize contest, but nothing else.

Comment

• Gary King
      • Feb 2002

Yep passwords just another feature; if you don't want to use it, then don't use it. I think it's that simple, and I suppose vB support will have more or less the same response

Comment

• dieKetzer
        • Jun 2000
        • 1.1.x

??? i dont understand... how is this a feature? it appears to do nothing. unless i am not understanding how this works... of what value is a password if it does not unlock a forum? i would like to use it! but i dont see any use for a password that doesnt actually function as a password.
        Into the Void

Comment

• </blunted>
          • Sep 2002
          • 3.8.x

the proverbial screendoor on a submarine...

whistle on a plow...

One would hope that the developer had some actual application in mind to go through the process of coding the functionality. I still just want to be able to easily purge old PM's...
          "I actually ignored at least 20 of your attacks before I ever came back at you." -- Lawrence Cole

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...