Best Anti Spamm? Need this asap. Adult Spammers!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zent
    • Mar 2011

[Answered] Best Anti Spamm? Need this asap. Adult Spammers!

I have random users registering and posting a random thread about random stuff. I eve had one posting adult websites. Some come in and post in a different language. How can I deal with this?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zent
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
      Can I have the Image Verification + captcha?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zent
        Can I have the Image Verification + captcha?
        You can have only one .

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Zent
          • Mar 2011

Help please it's still coming.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

You didn't do anything suggested in that thread, nor did you enable Question and Answer verification.

Comment

• prandah
              • Jan 2011
              • 4.1.x

Hi,

you can use VSA Forum Rule
              i use it, bot only can register but them can't posting

it's work 100%

so you get member + but spam can't post
              try

search on vbulletin.org
              forum freedom

Comment

• Zent
                • Mar 2011

It got worse. I really need a fix asap. Please

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

There is no "magic fix" to make all of your issues go away with spammers.

But the FIRST step is to stop using Image verification, it is so very weak that it is possible its going to be removed from the software all together. Please use Question and Answer, it will help.

We've given you ALL the advise you need to help with your spammer issues, you need to read it and make the changes we have already recommended.
                  Last edited by Zachery; Tue 29 Mar '11, 12:05pm.

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Amen.
                    Time to close the thread me thinks.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Zent
                      • Mar 2011

Okay I tried the Question but it ended up under referrals and my members couldn't see it and couldn't sign up. How do i put it up?

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

If you go to Settings> Human Verification Manager and choose Question and Answer, it will showup @ the same place image verification shows up now.

Comment

• josiah
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4.1.x

I have posted this somewhere else but cannot find it so here goes, I am assuming you and your site are English, your profile does not say.....
                          Use the Q & A but ask questions that are specific to the English way of life, the answers will not be known to foreign spammers, also as in example 2, do not use the proper punctuation this will confuse all but english speaking people.

1 Q.....who is the leader of the town council ?.....A....... mayor......only a UK resident will know such an answer.

2 Q.....whatis4.1minus3.1 ?...A .......1............by omitting spaces in the question a spam bot cannot read it.

3 Q...what letter is missing from xm*s ?.....A.......a................xmas is a word only used by english speaking people.

You get the idea, make questions and answer specific to England , I have two Forums and neither get any spam whatsoever.
                          <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• inciarco
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 3.6.x

Is important to consider also that Not Only Spam Bots register to Spam on a Community Board; there are also Human Spam Operators that Manually Create the Account (or Various Accounts) and then Configure a Spam Bot to Access them and Post the Spam.

Perhaps the Following Ideas Might Help some vBulletin Forum Admins to Control Spammers (Bots and Humans):

1. Is Important to Combine 2 Systems on the Registration Process (and for other Actions), like the Questions and Answers (Mentioned Before in this Post) like the Mod "NoSpam! for vBulletin", (or other Similar), and also another System; I've tried since some Weeks the "KeyCaptcha" System that Uses Puzzles and is 100% Effective to Stop Spam Bots because Spam Bots can't Solve a Puzzle, (move the Pieces and Place them in the Proper Places), and Also I Liked that the System don't Allow to Pass the Page Until the Puzzle is Well Solved, so the User don't have to Press the "Previous Page" Button on the Web Browser, (Important in many Pages and Forms).

Humans can Still Register and Spam, but the Next Points Can Help with that:

2. Is Important to Activate the Human Verification System (Questions and Answers and/or the KeyCaptcha and/or Other System of Human Verification Choosed), for "Not Activated", "Pending Approval", and Also "New Approved Members", so that No Spam Operator Registers and then Activate a Spam Bot to Spam the Forums, (perhaps the Human Spammer can Try to Spam but it'll be Difficult the Process and perhaps will be Persuated from doing it, too much Effort for his/her posts to be Deleted as soon as Detected by the Admin). I Like the KeyCaptcha Puzzles because theyre Fun to Solve, so perhaps Good Users won't mind Solving them to Post their Messages on the Forum's Topics, at least until they are Promoted to a Usergroup that don't have that Restriction (Next Point Explains that).

You Can Set a Promotion for Users that Post more than "20" Posts on the Topics, (or the Number You Like), so that the Promoted Usergroup don't have that Human Verification Restriction and from that Moment On they Can Post without Restrictions on the Forums.

3. If You don't Want Fake E-mail Accounts to Register you can Use a Mod like "vMail - Verify Mail before registration" so that New Users Confirm their E-mails before being Able to Create an Account.

4. Consider Using the "COPPA Registration System", if you don't want Small Kids to Register and Write Wrong Things in Your Forums.

5. Always Moderate New Accounts, so that You Can Review Them Before Accepting Them. (Use the User Profile Fields explained in Nexr Point).

6. Create and Force New Users to be Obligated to Answer some Personal/Particular "User Profile Fields", so that You Can Analyze their Answers or what they Write in those Fields in the Registration Process; many Spammers Will Write Ininteligible or Absurd Answers, so You Can Ban Them if they Do, (a Troll, a Leecher, and a Spammer will try to Pass that Step Fast, a Good Forumer/Member will Answer Carefully and Correctly the Questions, as Happens in Real Life).

7. Set "Follow Forum Moderation Rules If no, posts are always placed into moderation queue" on "Post / Thread Permissions" as "NO", for Usergroups Not Approved ("Not Activated" and "Pending Approval"), so that Every message They Post is Moderated, and that way while you Check their Profiles you can Stop their Spam and don't Allow Anyone to See It, (as Admin You and Your Moderators Will be the Only Ones that Will See it, but Not the Users and Guests, so No Body Will be Annoyed by Spam and Wrong Contente, and that'll Disuade Spammers from Registering).

8. You Can Also Use the Mod "Throttle Posts/Threads (restrict number of posts/threads by usergroup/forum by time)" to restrict Usergroups (Specially the New Approved Users) from Posting more that "X" Threads or "Y" Posts in a "Z" Period of Time that You Can Define. If You Allow New Approved Users to Create New Threads and for some Reason a Human Spammer Passes All the Registration Protocols, then You Can Restrict Him/Her from Posting more than those Threads and/or Posts on Your Forums, (something Like 1 Thread and 10 Posts in a 6 Hour Period of Time, of the Amounts You Prefer).

9. Do Not Authorize Signature on Usergroups Not Approved (like "Not Activated" and "Pending Approval"), and Perhaps also on New Approved Usergroups; many Spammers Like to Post their Spam Links on their Signatures; before I Implemmented the NoSpam (Questions and Answers) and the KeyCaptcha (Puzzle Human Verification), I noticed that Many Spam Bots that Registered Stopped at the Signature Editing Process, because by Chance I had that Disabled for those Usergroups and that is Part of their Steps to Spam the Forum Boards, so is Important Not to Allow Signatures for those Usergroups.

10. Of Course, the List of Ideas Shared by the vBulletin Team (Steve Machol and Wayne Luke) on the Topic "How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots", and Other vBulletin Team Members on Other Topics, are Very Important to Control Spammers.

I Hope this Ideas Can Help vBulletin Forum Board Admins to Control Spammers, (they Also Help Control Trolls and Leechers because they Won't Like to Register on a Controlled and Moderated Board, and that is Noticed from the Registration Process).

My Best Regards.

Last edited by inciarco; Wed 6 Apr '11, 4:46pm.

Comment

• inciarco
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3.6.x

I'd like to Share this Additional Ideas that I Shared on vB.org, perhaps they might Help also in this Cases:

- I Can Add to the Previous Recommendations also that You Can Set a "Custom Login Page" as Spam Bots and Human Spammers Usually Look and Should Configure the Login Process to the Default Fields Located on ALL the Pages of the vBulletin Board. (The Login Page can be Easily Renamed if needed to). Maybe that Can Help, but the Best Way is to Prevent Spammers From Registering and Also From Posting Unmoderated Posts, at least while the Admin can Check that is a Good and Useful Forumer and Not a Spammer/Troll/Leecher.

I Also Saw on "Talk Jesus | Christian Forums" that they Use a Drop Down Menu for Login, (I can't Precise how Effective that can be but I Think it Should be). If you check on their Site they are VERY Strict with the People that Registers, and they Use the "vmail" Mod (mentioned in my previous posts) Not to Allow Any Registration that Can't Confirm the Verification Code (Human Registrations Only).

According to the Methods that You Choose for Registration, Moderation, and Control of Your Boards, will be the Difference Between QUALITY and Quantity. I Liked a Lot what Chad, the TalkJesus Admin wrote on the Topic "Forum Etiquette", and that Explains Very Well the Difference Between those 2 Kind of Persons (in Real Life and in this Virtual Life provided by Internet and Communities like vBulletin Forum Ones).

My Best Regards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...