X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dexter_kcd
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] Find Posts by user bug

Upgraded from 3.08 to 4.0.7. Find posts by user in the thread display works properly for some users, and improperly for others. Some users only return one or two posts, just recent ones, but when I search for posts by a user in the Admin CP I can see their older ones, and not the new ones.

Searching for posts by a user via the search page also only returns a few recent results on some users.

I have rebuilt the search index a couple of times.

Searching here at vBulletin.com I have seen multiple instances of this problem, both here in the forums, in the Jira tracker, and in the old project tracker.

I note a somewhat official response from a member of the vB team from another thread:

Originally posted by Lynne
    If you notice, it is like that on this site also. It is listed in the bug tracker, but I do not know what the status is.
    That was from a month ago, in v 4.0.6. It's now v 4.0.7 and some people are still having this problem, me included.

Can we get an actual update on this problem please? One that does not sound like a shoulder shrug?

I also have another search related problem: I have Google ads in the footer position. On any of the search pages, the ad space shows up as a solid colour block (a dark blue which is my navbar colour.) Why do the ads become disconnected on the search pages? Considering that is an area unregistered guests tend to visit, it would sure be nice to have them seeing my ads.

Dexter...
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Dexter_kcd
    I also have another search related problem: I have Google ads in the footer position. On any of the search pages, the ad space shows up as a solid colour block (a dark blue which is my navbar colour.) Why do the ads become disconnected on the search pages? Considering that is an area unregistered guests tend to visit, it would sure be nice to have them seeing my ads.
    This one might be due to the fact you are only allowed to put Adsense code on 'content' pages, so Search, Login, UserCP etc are pages where you shouldn't put the code, because they aren't Content pages.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Dexter_kcd
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ace
      This one might be due to the fact you are only allowed to put Adsense code on 'content' pages, so Search, Login, UserCP etc are pages where you shouldn't put the code, because they aren't Content pages.

Ah, so Google is actually blocking that on their end then?

Dexter...

Comment

• Shamil.
        • Feb 2008
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Dexter_kcd
        Ah, so Google is actually blocking that on their end then?

Dexter...
        Yep: the AdSense spider just can't retrieve content for that page.
        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
        vBulletin Hosting and Services
        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

My comment, that you quoted above, has nothing to do with the problem you are having. I was commenting on the pagination issue.

In the database, how many rows in your post table? How many rows in your searchcore table?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Dexter_kcd
            • Apr 2005
            • 3.6.x

My comment, that you quoted above, has nothing to do with the problem you are having. I was commenting on the pagination issue.
            Oh, that wasn't clear from the post, it appeared to be a reply to the thread in general. I stand corrected and apologize then.

In the database, how many rows in your post table? How many rows in your searchcore table?
            Post table: 745,073

searchcore table: ~333,995

Dexter...

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

If all your forums are set to be indexed by search, then you have not done a complete reindex of the search table. If all the forums are set to be indexed, then you should have at least as many, if not more, rows in your searchcore table than in your post table. So, it could be that when you reindexed your search, that it timed out and you never noticed. You may want to run this through shell access, if you have that, but running the searchindex.php file in the do_not_upload directory instead of doing the reindexing through maintenance > update counters.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• raywjohnson
                raywjohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Even after 10+ years, this is the correct solution. Thank you.
            • Dexter_kcd
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.6.x

If all your forums are set to be indexed by search, then you have not done a complete reindex of the search table. If all the forums are set to be indexed, then you should have at least as many, if not more, rows in your searchcore table than in your post table. So, it could be that when you reindexed your search, that it timed out and you never noticed. You may want to run this through shell access, if you have that, but running the searchindex.php file in the do_not_upload directory instead of doing the reindexing through maintenance > update counters.
              I actually started thinking along those lines after your earlier post and checking the tables. I don't have shell access, but I shut down the forum, edited my config file to increase the max_execution_time, dropped the posts per cycle on the rebuild to 150. Searchcore is now up to about 750,000 rows, which seems more on par with what it should be.

I think it is fixed now, I can find posts by user and get realistic results. Hopefully it stays that way!

Thank you for your help...sorry for sounding snippity above .

Dexter...

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

No problem, Dexter.

(I happen to be watching Season 1 of Dexter right now... kinda weird to see Dexter here in the forums too. )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...