X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rootsxrocks
    • Aug 2009
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Can I remove Moderators list in forum descriptions

When I upgraded to 4 from 3.86 all of my Moderators became listed in the forum descriptions. I had an option to keep these unlisted in previous versions. and some Mods were upset this became public.
    can I remove this from the descriptions?
    I don't think it is necessary to advertise who is moderators. It actually caused a rift between users to see that some had been selected over others.
    Once the cat was out of the bag It has been a low priority to remove the listing but I would like to because it causes to unnecessary clutter.
    Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

vboptions > Forum Listings Display Options > Show Moderator Column

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rootsxrocks
      • Aug 2009
      • 4.2.X

Thank you Lynne that was it, I misunderstood what that meant since they were not really in a column. I thought it was a literal column with moderator notices and tools
      Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by rootsxrocks
        Thank you Lynne that was it, I misunderstood what that meant since they were not really in a column. I thought it was a literal column with moderator notices and tools
        It used to be an actual column. They just haven't changed the wording for vB4.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rootsxrocks
          • Aug 2009
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Lynne
          It used to be an actual column. They just haven't changed the wording for vB4.
          Vb4 CMS has so many loose ends it resembles Lost episode.

Comment

• mgurain
            • Jul 2003
            • 4.2.X

Hi,
            Why did we loose the column feature ? We like to use it instead of listing moderators in the description !
            We want the two options available please ?
            Regards,,
            http://www.al-jarodiah.com/vb/
            Arabic Village Social forums

Comment

• rootsxrocks
              • Aug 2009
              • 4.2.X

This answer DID NOT help

Lynn, I have just realized that this solution did not work to hide the Identity of my moderators, which was involuntarily and unexpectedly revealed by the installation 4.0x.

What I thought might have been only visible to my admin account has been verified appears to everyone in the Forum Information and Options box on every forum page. How do I chose to hide all appearances of this information from all members ? including the edited by notice in moderated post, the edited by should say something to reflect it has been changed from its original content, but the Revelation of which moderator should be only visible to the admin.

This unannounced change from 3.8 revealed what was previously a confidential relationship and severely affected participation by members who felt that certain individuals might be privy to information about them their post or PMs. While many member perceptions do not reflect reality they can seriously affect attitude and loyalties and the participation in a forum.

Furthermore I expected that when I go to an individuals profile and remove their Additional User group as a moderator they would no longer be moderators of any part of the site. Yet after doing so I find three days later they still have their Mod powers.

I have since discovered that I can remove moderators in the Moderator Manager but have not followed through yet to determine the full effect . I hope others are able to understand the hatch of permissions better than I have if this is not a bug.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                • Aug 2009
                • 4.2.X

BUMP please

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Sorry, there is no built-in function to do what you want. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Thank you, I will find a way arround this, I can give at least on trusted person admin status without access to the cp and then they are not listed yet retain mod abilities.

It would seem that hiding mods would be a natural thing considering the nature of local forums. In fact the option to hide the moderator column implies that this other listing of moderators is a developer oversight.

Furthermore the abrupt change from 3.8 were this was hidden, to 4.03 were it was revealed unexpectedly was certainly damaging to our community.

Labeling of permissions should be more specific as well, a button that seems to ad a moderator to all forums at once actually makes them an Admin with full permissions, (this may have been fixed since I had issue with it) I added a moderator and it was only several weeks later she informed me of the access she had. I definitely did not see the add admin permissions as I would when changing to an admin. This was perhaps partially my fault for not understanding the powers a global mod had, but i really felt misled by the name.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by rootsxrocks
                      How do I chose to hide all appearances of this information from all members ? including the edited by notice in moderated post, the edited by should say something to reflect it has been changed from its original content, but the Revelation of which moderator should be only visible to the admin.
                      Well this might not alter the edited by notice, but it certainly seems to do what I was wanting by not advertising the Moderators.
                      vboptions > Forum Listings Display Options(forum display) > Show Users Browsing Forums

Enabling this option will show the current users browsing a particular forum and the Moderators assigned on forumdisplay.php while adding one query. This can have an effect on performance. The Alphabetical option requires more resources than the random option
                      well nope it reappears when I assign a mod. But it does bring me to another confusing issue Previously I had changed the trusted users secondary user group to moderators, but then learned that I also had to assign them to a forum before they could do actual moderation of post.

the confusion is that when I removed their moderation user group they remained listed and retained the powers in the forums they were assigned until I removed them from all forums via the ACP> forums and moderators> show all moderators

So What is the default difference in these 4 types of moderators ?
                      1 moderator user group (sec or primary),
                      2 super moderator set as a user group without additional permission options
                      3 super moderator (admin with all (Administration Permissions set to NO)
                      4 assigned moderators(via forum manager) with no user group selected in profile

Is there something I may be overlooking by using the admin with all permissions set to no as an invisible Mod accross the forum ?

To get arround the edited by notice I can just have mods un aprove a post if it's needed and a known mod can do edits if needed.

so is there a reason I can not use these methods to acomplish my goal without code modification ?

My experience was previously when I set the allow user to moderate all forums they had access to the ACP I will check to see if this is different now.

Were do I find moderation permissions for the blog ? I had to turn off our blog because spammers were making entries that we were unable to delete or report.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 4.2.X

Hello ?
                        Were do I find moderation permissions for the blog ?
                        So What is the default difference in these 4 types of moderators ?
                        1 moderator user group (sec or primary),
                        2 super moderator set as a user group without additional permission options
                        3 super moderator (admin with all (Administration Permissions set to NO)
                        4 assigned moderators(via forum manager) with no user group selected in profile

Comment

• goxy63
                          • Sep 2008

So is there any way to remove Moderators list ???

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 4.2.X

Nope Goxy63 I didn't find a way

OK just a note, If you had the blog installed prior to Upgrading from 3.86 you may have several issues and not see the admincp and moderator tools for blog. I believe I have corrected this now.

I am disappointed that my previous question was not addressed as permissions settings are incredibly confusing and not intuitive.
                            I try to word my inquiries with precision and to be brushed off or ignored is just insulting after paying for a premium software package.

I am still unsure the difference between custom and defaults or how to even set the defaults, I recently created and advisory forum within the reported post forum but when I moved it out of the restricted area it did not keep its inherited permissions and became completely public for a few hours arrrrgh.

I also am agitated that the preset for moderators always allows IP's to be viewed and turning off IP listing for all but admins is not the default.

4.1 is definitely a big improvement and one year later we can actually call it gold however 4 has taken some choices like hiding moderators status from users and edited by display wither you give that permission or not for Admins and this is not a nice thing to do without due notice and reasoning.

I would like nothing more than to stop being a disagreeable user and remove my signature, however I continue to feel like a stepchild on vb.com

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

If you want to remove the moderators from showing on the forum listing itself (forumdisplay) editing it out of the template would be best.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...