Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elbarfo
    • Apr 2007

Something is very worng with my boards

I am having several weird problems that lead me to believe I might be being hacked.

First, every user in who's online shows up as having the same IP address. Many users are coming to the site and showing as being logged in as another user, if they can even log in at all.

To top all this off, I cannot access the admin cp. It keeps telling me I have used up my login quota, and to wait 15 mins. I wait, to no avail. I registered a brand new user, added it to the superadmin list in config.php, and it would not allow me to login the the admincp either, saying it had used up the quota as well, despite only having been logged in (the the boards) one time ever.

I'm really worried at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using 3.7.3 PL2

Thanks
  • Elbarfo
    • Apr 2007

No one has any ideas?

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

You may want to read the Forum Rules regarding bumping threads.

You cannot register a new user, add it to the config.php file, and have them login. They still need to be an admin. In order to get promoted to an admin, you should upload tools.php (from the do_not_upload folder) to your admin cp and then point your browser to it and promote that regular user to an admin.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Elbarfo
        • Apr 2007

I have reuploded the install directory (i removed the whole install folder after primary installation), then uploaded the tools.php to my admincp folder, and was not able to access it. Would just get a 404 every time. It's not making any sense

More searching has led me to an error involving proxies and apache as the reason all my users are showing up as the same IP address (my servers), but none of the fixes I found worked. Apparently my host changed something recently.

The last time I had a problem with vB, the help here was amazing. Has something changed?

Comment

• ENF
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Elbarfo
          The last time I had a problem with vB, the help here was amazing. Has something changed?
          Nothing has really changed, but it sounds like you have some problems with your host to sort out. Lynne's suggestion was the best one to start with since you are having access problems.
          To be updated...

Comment

• Elbarfo
            • Apr 2007

As I said, the tools file will not run. I have sent a message to my host and hope to soon have an answer as to what they've done recently.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

You need to upload your install directory (which it sounds like you did) and then upload tools.php into your admincp folder. When you enter the url for it yoursite.com/admincp/tools.php, you should first get a screen asking you for your customer number. Are you not even getting that?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Elbarfo
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Lynne
                You need to upload your install directory (which it sounds like you did) and then upload tools.php into your admincp folder. When you enter the url for it yoursite.com/admincp/tools.php, you should first get a screen asking you for your customer number. Are you not even getting that?
                Nope. Just a 404. I can go to any other file in the admincp folder and it gives me the admin login (which is useless, sadly). I'm guessing it's erroring out, but it's not showing the error in the errorlog in my cpanel. Damn confusing, it is.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Check the permissions of the tools.php file. It should be 755.

Comment

• Elbarfo
                    • Apr 2007

Yeah, that was one of the first things I tried. Still gets me a 404. It confounds me.

On a side note, it appears my server was migrated to another box (was nice to be notified about it - NOT!). New apache and PHP. I'm trying to get them to put mod_rpaf into the apache setup in order to allow vB to get correct IP's through the proxy. From what I've read, that should fix it.

I appreciate the help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...