Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rairahul
    • Oct 2007

Single Sign on Capabilities

I am thinking of buying vBulletin and making it an integral part of the community features of my web portal. I will have other custom database driven forms (which also need to be protected by a user login) on my website and i am looking for ways where my users wont have to login to vBulletin and my form separately. Is there a way to achieve this ? I have total control of the user driven forms which i have on the website.

On a separate note would it be possible to provide a link to my custom web form from within vBulletin after logging in there ? that way i would just need to have the user base in vBulletin.

Any other alternatives/insights are welcome.
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Integrating log-ins between applications is a PITA, requiring extensive modification.

If you can edit your forums to authenticate off of the vbulletin user table, that would be the easiest way to go. There are some tutorials/articles on vbulletin.org for creating your own "vb powered pages" which may help you accomplish this. This really depends on the complexity of your forms and the log in system you have in place today.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• davide101
      • Feb 2006

I use vBulletin to display statistics from and protect content outside of vBulletin. For example, I let subscribing members turn off ads across the whole site using a switch within vBulletin. This only took an hour to setup. The more complex you want it, the more programming you'll have to do. But I don't think it's complicated to take advantage of the vBulletin login system if you're starting from a blank slate.
      David Edelman
      Diabetes DailyDiabetes Forumtwitter.com/davidtalkdavidedelman.com

Comment

• rairahul
        • Oct 2007

Thank you "Reeve of Shinra" for replying. My web based form is very simple and i can surely authenticate against the vBulletin DB assuming i can verify the pwd (assuming vBulletin simply hashes the pwd and stores it). That way i can simply have one user login, however my "desirable" situation is that when i do login to my app then i should be automatically "logged on" to vBulletin as well without having to enter user/pwd in the vBulletin login screen. Any method to accomplish that ?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

my "desirable" situation is that when i do login to my app then i should be automatically "logged on" to vBulletin as well without having to enter user/pwd in the vBulletin login screen. Any method to accomplish that ?
          Yeah, that should be pretty easy going by what you've said so far.

I would call the vbulletin global php file and then use IF statements to give them the default vbulletin log-on or, if they are logged in, the form to submit.

Here is some information which may be useful... unfortunately you will not be able to read the code until you are a licensed customer.

Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...