Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SacStangs
    • Oct 2004

Random post order?

The posts on my forum appear to be in a random order instead of by date/time. This same problem happened with my old forum software (phpbb) that I was using. Could it be a problem with my SQL?

Thanks,
    Keith
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

I have seen that problem be caused by a wacky server clock. Posts are ordered by their post dates. If the clock is jumping around then they will get incorrect post dates. You should contact your host about this possibility.

No other possible explanations come to mind.

Comment

• permabanned.net
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      I have seen that problem be caused by a wacky server clock. Posts are ordered by their post dates. If the clock is jumping around then they will get incorrect post dates. You should contact your host about this possibility.

No other possible explanations come to mind.
      The mods on chuckpalahniuk.net reported that this problem happens regularly on their website around the beginning and end of Daylight Savings Time (DST) which comes up next weekend. If people switch from "Automatically Detect DST settings" to "DST corrections always on/off" the problem goes away.

Another possibility is that in my experience as a hacker hunter-slayer that many buffer-overrun exploits throw the system clock into chaos. The exploit itself may not even entirely succeed, but it will still screw up the system clock. These would basically be worms or attack tools that send nastygrams to some port that your server is "listening" on, often crafted to set the password of some priviledged account to a value that the hacker knows (like overwrite /etc/shadow) or grant remote password-less login via some mechanism like adding "+" or "*" entries to /etc/hosts.equiv or something similar.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...