Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crossovernetwork
    • Jun 2008

[Forum] swf ad hiding drop down menus in IE

I've recently added banner advertisments to my site and all was well until one of my users reported that some of the drop down menus were being hidden by the flash ad. (forum actions and quick links.) it seems to only be doing it with IE. I've tried adding the param = wmode value = transparent tag to the object and wmode=transparent to the embed tags, but the flash is still hiding the menus in IE.

It works fine in Firefox without having to add the lines.

Any ideas?
  • trilogy33
    • Mar 2008

It's "opaque" not transparent.

See here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt....please-advise!

Comment

• crossovernetwork
      • Jun 2008

opaque doesn't work in IE either. Still fine in Firefox though. I'm stumped.

Comment

• trilogy33
        • Mar 2008

A link to your site might help us to examine the script and see the actual environment.
        On my test boards, I have an swf banner, no complications with drop downs and tested under Firefox 3.6.8, IE7 and IE8.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

This is a known issue with IE. Many sites I've seen auto-hide advertisements when you pull down a menu.

Comment

• crossovernetwork
            • Jun 2008

ok

here's a link : http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Comment

• Oracle simsim
              • Jul 2009

same problem here
              منتديات درر العراق

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• crossovernetwork
                  • Jun 2008

I've tried setting wmode to transparent, and also I've tried opaque. and that doesn't fix it. am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is it simply IE and Safari coded badly? I'm not having any problems with Firefox.

Comment

• trilogy33
                    • Mar 2008

As Trevor said, not a bug in vB...
                    But still trying to help here so I've taken the liberty of inserting your banner onto my test site (with center align)...and indeed it does obscure the drop down boxes in IE.
                    This leads me to believe it's got to be something inside your swf file (the actual code of the swf file) that is making the banner "forced on top of everything else".
                    If your banner was custom written for you by someone else, I'd check with them. It seems the opaque/transparent override is being...erm...overridden!

But for now, yeah, I'd right align it.

Comment

• lastnico
                      • Mar 2009

You cannot avoid this... it's part of the great bugs (mmh features? ;-) of the Flash plugins. And of course, the pair IE / Flash will not help either.
                      Forum Software Reviews
                      Review, compare and test forum software solutions.

http://www.forum-software.org/review-bar/vbulletin4
                      vBulletin score: 10/10!
                      Vote for best forum software of 2011

Comment

• crossovernetwork
                        • Jun 2008

This gets stranger and stranger. my understanding is that the OBJECT tag is for display in IE, and EMBED for Firefox. However if I remove ALL the OBJECT code, it still displays in IE. However, so far I've not managed to get IE8 to Right-align the flash. IE seems to be ignoring the align="right" instruction. meanwhile both safari and Firefox display it correctly. Only Firefox is able to display the drop-downs correctly
                        Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can get a new version of the swf without the transparent/opaque being overridden.

Comment

• trilogy33
                          • Mar 2008

Simplify the code:
                          Code:
                          <embed width="728" height="90" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?
                          P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="opaque" quality="high" src="http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/images/ads/jordan_generic_728x90.swf"/>
                          Any help?
                          Safari 5.0.1/IE7/IE8 ok

Comment

• crossovernetwork
                            • Jun 2008

All works fine, apart from aligning the flash in IE (FF and Safari aligns fine, btw.) I'll need to look at that further I think. edit: sorted it with a center tag instead.

However the menus work as they should. many thanks for your help. what did I miss?
                            Last edited by crossovernetwork; Mon 30 Aug '10, 6:47am.

Comment

• trilogy33
                              • Mar 2008

Excellent Glad you're sorted.

Here's a quick thought.
                              If you wanted to align the banner ("left" used here for this example), I'd surround the entire embed instruction with a div tag. (Keeps things tidy, at least for me).
                              Code:
                              <div align="left">
                              <embed width="728" height="90" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?
                              P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="opaque" quality="high" src="http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/images/ads/jordan_generic_728x90.swf"/>
                              </div>

I "think", not 100% sure but, when the align is used within the embed instruction itself, (which you had originally) there "could" be some obscurity amongst browsers and how they handle it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...