Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • globalinsites
    • Oct 2002

Country

Isn't there an option to have a profile field with a dropdown menu with all the countries so a user can select the country in which he/she lives? I know that there is the location profile field but people can write anything they wish into the location profile field and in the way the want to (some will perhaps enter only their city or provence, some will enter for example NL or Holland instead of The Netherlands, etc. I think it would be prettier to have a country drop down menu. But it's not a standard option I think? I would think that most vB users would want this. I'm surprised it isn't there, perhaps I just havent found it yet, I hope

I can't find a plugin or hack for it on vBulletin.org either
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

No, there is no such option. This would require a plugin.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• globalinsites
      • Oct 2002

Okay. You don't happen to know if such a plugin exists? I haven't been able to find it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

No I don't. You may have to request one.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• adwade
          • Jul 2006

Required State/Country w/o a Plugin...

I was looking for the same thing and ended up creating my own. I don't think this would qualify as a HACK, so I'll just post the details of what I did here...

1)Create a new Single-Selection Menu custom profile field called State/Country
          2)In your Options box, copy/paste the states/countries I have in the attached ZIP file below
          3)Set Default to Yes, but no First Blank Option
          4)Set Field Required to Yes, Always
          5)Set Field Editable by User to Only at registeration

I figure if someone messes up their selection, they can PM me to manually change it for them. If you leave it editable after they register, you may have users changing it for no good reason(s).

Anyway, it's how 'I' solved the problem as best as I could.

Note: I created the State/Country listing from several similar lists I tripped across on the internet. After merging three or four of them and removing the duplicates and checking the current (vs. historical) names of the countries it's what I managed to come up with.

(Moderator(s), feel free to move this thread if this makes it better qualified for another section of the board. )
          Attached Files
          Last edited by adwade; Mon 23 Oct '06, 8:42pm. Reason: EDIT: Revised #1 above to reflect field type.
          Shopping for a HOST? Ask me about A Small Orange

Comment

• globalinsites
            • Oct 2002

Thanks man. That's great!

One question though: did you do this in vB 3.6.2 and did you add a Mulitple Selection Menu? Cause I don't see how I can do this:

3)Set Default to *Yes, but no First Blank Option*.

I don't think that a Mulitple Selection Menu would create a dropdown menu but it would list all the lines that are entered in the Options box.

However, when I try to add a Multiple-Line Text Box then I don't see an Options box. So I'm not sure which type of profile field I need to add.

I am in Add New User Profile Field by the way, perhaps I need to look elsewhere to add a custom profile field?

Comment

• adwade
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by globalinsites
              Thanks man. That's great!

One question though: did you do this in vB 3.6.2 and did you add a Mulitple Selection Menu? Cause I don't see how I can do this:

3)Set Default to *Yes, but no First Blank Option*.

I don't think that a Mulitple Selection Menu would create a dropdown menu but it would list all the lines that are entered in the Options box.
              I did it in vB v3.6.0 and no, it's not a Multiple Selection, it's a Single-Selection Menu instead.

However, when I try to add a Multiple-Line Text Box then I don't see an Options box. So I'm not sure which type of profile field I need to add.
              I'm attaching a screenprint of my AdminCP, while editing this field so you can better see the setup.

I am in Add New User Profile Field by the way, perhaps I need to look elsewhere to add a custom profile field?
              Yep, that's where you need to be alright! Sounds like you're very close to having it fixed up.

EDIT: Note, in my screenprint 'Set Field Editable by User to Only at registeration is set to Yes instead of Only at registeration as I've been playing around with it some and had forgotten to resave it last time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by adwade; Mon 23 Oct '06, 2:09pm.

Comment

• globalinsites
                • Oct 2002

Ohhh a Single-Selection Menu... It all makes sense now, lol. I just added it and it works great. Thanks sooo much.

I put United States in front of all the States and named the field Country/State so that users who aren't from the US won't think that their country is not in the list.

I was about to start using the old country flag hack before you replied but I prefer this option, because it's not a hack. The less hacks on my sites the better! My goal is to not use hacks at all. Let's see if I will reach my goal... hehe

Thanks again

Comment

• adwade
                  • Jul 2006

You're plenty welcome. Actually, I'm still sorta in shock that I was able to provide ANYone help here. I know oh-so-little of all this stuff, but have enjoyed learning about vB so far. And with all the MODs/HACKs available...well I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Not sure of your application, but FYI we're a bicycling group and my site is intended to help riders find others in their own areas. As such, I went one step futher and added (yet) another custom field that even futher details someone's location: I called it 'Region' and the drop down box has North, South, East, West, Mid-State/Country, NorthEast, NorthWest, SouthEast, SouthWest. That almost pins someone's location down to with 100mi or so, for most states allowing riders to know if anyone else is close by to ride with.
                  Last edited by adwade; Mon 23 Oct '06, 8:49pm.

Comment

• dbtp
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by adwade
                    I did it in vB v3.6.0 and no, it's not a Multiple Selection, it's a Single-Selection Menu instead.

I'm attaching a screenprint of my AdminCP, while editing this field so you can better see the setup.

Yep, that's where you need to be alright! Sounds like you're very close to having it fixed up.

EDIT: Note, in my screenprint 'Set Field Editable by User to Only at registeration is set to Yes instead of Only at registeration as I've been playing around with it some and had forgotten to resave it last time.
                    I am looking at the above instructions, but they seem to be a little dated. The image you have attached here is not identical to the admin cp that I am using. I would like to set this up on my forums if possible, but I am a little confused on how to go about setting it up. I am currently using 3.6.8

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Please start yourt own thread. Thank you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• adwade
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Please start yourt own thread. Thank you.
                        Done, see here now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...