X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marris
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.6.x

Add mouseover effect to navbar search cell

I am trying to add a mouseover effect (background color change) to each <td> cell in the navbar.

What I have done is define a new css class vbmenu_control_mover which is identical to vbmenu_control except for a different background color. Then I change the <td> class if onmouseover is detected on the cell.

This method works fine for all cells in the navbar with standard links, but the <td> onmouseover background change fails on the Search and Quick Links cells. Presumably this is because they have their own mouseover handling.

Is there any way to have mouseover on the Search and Quicklinks effect the entire containing <td> cell, rather than just the 'Search' text itself?

The only progress I have made was to move the id="navbar_search" from the <td> tag to the <a> tag. This allows the <td> background change over the cell, but only until the mouse reaches the link text...then the button reverts to the original background.

PHP Code:
    <td class="vbmenu_control" onmouseover="this.className='vbmenu_control_mover'" onmouseout="this.className='vbmenu_control'"><a id="navbar_search" href="$vboptions[bburl]/search.php?$session[sessionurl]accesskey="4">$vbphrase[search]</a> <script type="text/javascript"vbmenu_register("navbar_search",1); </script></td
    The attached image shows the mouseover effect on the cell (darker background), then the lower image shows the problem when the cursor is over the link text. The <td> background formatting is lost and the backgound color only changes under the text.
    Attached Files
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Marris
    The only progress I have made was to move the id="navbar_search" from the <td> tag to the <a> tag. This allows the <td> background change over the cell, but only until the mouse reaches the link text...then the button reverts to the original background.
    Maybe add the mouseover code to both the "td" and the "a" so it affects both the table cell and the text? I am just guessing.

Comment

• Marris
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Maybe add the mouseover code to both the "td" and the "a" so it affects both the table cell and the text? I am just guessing.
      Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. The vBulletin popup java code seems to be overriding the <td> level mouseover code, so that when the <a> link text is highlighted, <td> level mouseover effects are negated.

The <a> link text will display the normal hover behavior, but the enclosing <td> cell reverts to the mouse off state (even though the mouse is over it).

As I said, this doesn't happen on the non-popup navbar links.

Any other suggestions? Is there some way to get the vBulletin java popup mouseover state code to register across the whole <td> cell?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Marris
        Any other suggestions? Is there some way to get the vBulletin java popup mouseover state code to register across the whole <td> cell?
        The popup code identifies the page element by the "id" tag. I don't know if that helps you.

I am at a loss for your specific problem.

Comment

• Marris
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.6.x

Well, I couldn't get around the popup code overriding the table mouseover condition. I had to redo the menu with a css based rollover solution using a horizontal list and setting the list item tag <li id="navbar_search">.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...