Open attachments in a new window?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eoc_Jason
    • Dec 2001

Oops. I voted incorrectly. I meant for my vote to be FOR opening a new window (like it has been traditionally).

Changing stuff like this really throws users for a loop, and they end up closing their window that they were reading the thread in.

Instead of just changing it, maybe make it user-selectable, however I never had anyone complain and ask for opening images in the same window.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
      • Feb 2003

They would not close their own window if a download dialog appears.

By the way, have you guys ever tried downloading things in Firefox, Opera, Konquerer, Safari, etc? A new window opens, then the download dialog appears. The only reason why it doesn't in IE is because IE has broken standards support. It completely ignores target="_blank" for file downloads.

Also, the user is supposed to open the link in a new window/tab by either right clicking and then selecting the option or middle clicking.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Don't worry the attachments in a new window will be back in some form.

Comment

• weirdpixels
          • Aug 2003

why was this removed from vb3 anyway?
          http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
            I would prefer it if they weren't. I want my forums to be XHTML 1.1 compliant sometime within the next few months...

Comment

• filburt1
              • Feb 2002

XHTML 1.1 Transitional still allows the "target" attribute I believe. It's stupid that you should have to rely on Javascript to open a new window...
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Beth
                Yes, I'd like a new window. Most of my members aren't web savvy and dont realise or know that you can right-click on most links and open in new window. Anything that reduces the questions of how to do things over and over and over is a perference for me
                I agree with you. One argument why it is handy is to avoid closing windows without realizing you also loose the thread you were viewing.

Originally posted by Reverend
                Yep,makes sense to have them open in a new window.And slightly off topic,but i think the navbar links should open in a new window as well.
                Only a few links .. many links are really forum links and should open in the same page. But that is just how I experience it

Originally posted by MrNase
                just like it is now. I open those links in a new tab so i really don't care
                Imagine a world without tabbing I wish they'd introduce threaded tab (c)floris.

Originally posted by nVaux
                Gah i voted in the wrong one, lol, im half asleep. I want the attachments to open in a new window, not in the same browser that is just a bad idea. So subtract 1 from the current browser option and add one to the open a new winodow.
                Thank you for your vote. I will manually update it now

Originally posted by eoc_Jason
                Oops. I voted incorrectly. I meant for my vote to be FOR opening a new window (like it has been traditionally).

Changing stuff like this really throws users for a loop, and they end up closing their window that they were reading the thread in.

Instead of just changing it, maybe make it user-selectable, however I never had anyone complain and ask for opening images in the same window.
                Must be something in the air, updated!
                Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                It wasn't a gang up to get it back, but I am happy to hear i won't need to update my styles in the future each time I upgrade just to open certain links into a new window.
                Originally posted by weirdpixels
                why was this removed from vb3 anyway?
                target isn't a valid xhtml attribute for the <a> tag no more

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                I would prefer it if they weren't. I want my forums to be XHTML 1.1 compliant sometime within the next few months...
                He said one form or another

Originally posted by filburt1
                XHTML 1.1 Transitional still allows the "target" attribute I believe. It's stupid that you should have to rely on Javascript to open a new window...
                At the moment it might allow it, like there are many other deprecated. target will disappear over time.

Comment

• Hippycrack
                  • Jan 2003

in what template do I need to add the target="_blank" so the thumbnails will open in a new window? and better yet where?

Hippycrack

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by filburt1
                    There is no such thing as XHTML 1.1 Transitional as Transitional is well... transitional. There is only an XHTML 1.1, which can be considered the equivalent of a modularized XHTML 1.0 Strict.

By the way, its "stupid" to force a person's computer to break the back button when doing so should be the user's choice.

Comment

• Beth
                      • Jan 2003

Floris you got a good reaction for your poll

Anything that makes life easier for me will always get a vote, and anything that is less confusing for my members gets a vote (when they're used to something and it changes its not good).
                      TopDog

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Hippycrack
                        in what template do I need to add the target="_blank" so the thumbnails will open in a new window? and better yet where?

Hippycrack
                        postbit_attachmentthumbnail:

find:
                        HTML Code:
                        <a href="attachment.php?$session[sessionurl]attachmentid=$attachment[attachmentid]">
                        replace with:
                        HTML Code:
                        <a href="attachment.php?$session[sessionurl]attachmentid=$attachment[attachmentid]" target="_blank">
                        save the template,

open postbit_attachment template

find:
                        HTML Code:
                        <a href="attachment.php?$session[sessionurl]attachmentid=$attachment[attachmentid]">
                        replace with:
                        HTML Code:
                        <a href="attachment.php?$session[sessionurl]attachmentid=$attachment[attachmentid]" target="_blank">
                        save the template.

That will do the trick.

Comment

• Beth
                          • Jan 2003

Thanks
                          TopDog

Comment

• Hippycrack
                            • Jan 2003

Thanks

Thank you so much. I have been meaning to drop in and say thanks!

Hippycrack

Comment

• Martz
                              • Apr 2001

User selectable would be nice.

I show image attachments in the thread, so images don't get opened in a new window/don't have to be clicked to viewed. On other web sites, like vB.org, it's annoying when everything opens in a new window. I usually end up supressing it by opening in a new tab with control+click (firefox).
                              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                              -
                              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Razgo
                                • Mar 2002
                                • 4.1.x

I agree with you. One argument why it is handy is to avoid closing windows without realizing you also loose the thread you were viewing.
                                this happend a few times to me and i thought it was just me going crazy as i thought they used to open up in a seperate window.

with firefox you can't accidently close all windows if you have more than one tab open as you get a warning you are about to close all tabs. and boy is that ever a life saver!!

anyhow i think it makes more sense to open in a new window. but then again i am already used to the current method. and perhaps the reasoning behind the change was related to if you click on an attatched image then that's where your focus is anyway? in other words you can't read a thread and look at a pic at the same time?

so my vote was to bring back open in new window but that's based on what i was used to having before. make another poll in a months time and the poll may reveal the opposite?

if your poll was to target new vb3 users that have never seen an attatchment open up in a new window what would they vote for?

either way it's ok by me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...