Practical limit on number/levels of forums??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich_Z
    • Feb 2002

Practical limit on number/levels of forums??

I am considering greatly expanding my message board system, and it would be in such a way that there would be a tremendous increase in the number of forums added. I don't have any exact figure in mind, because it will be a hierarchical arrangement and I haven't settled on a design yet.

But first I figured I had better see if I would hit a limit half way through adding the categories and forums.

So is there a number limit where although it might still run, there will be performance penalties? I can see where the forum jump dropdown might be a problem if it had to digest say 200 or more discreet forums.

Anyone tried to push this to the limit?

Thanks.
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Rich_Z
    I am considering greatly expanding my message board system, and it would be in such a way that there would be a tremendous increase in the number of forums added. I don't have any exact figure in mind, because it will be a hierarchical arrangement and I haven't settled on a design yet.

But first I figured I had better see if I would hit a limit half way through adding the categories and forums.

So is there a number limit where although it might still run, there will be performance penalties? I can see where the forum jump dropdown might be a problem if it had to digest say 200 or more discreet forums.

Anyone tried to push this to the limit?

Thanks.
    There is no storage or performance limit other than what your server can handle. You will stress the server if you set the forum depth too high (two queries are added for each depth you add) but otherwise it's fine.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• rnmcd
      • Aug 2004
      • 3.5.x

I'm not sure if I understand the question or the reply. Is the original poster asking how many forums can be created? If he isn't, I am.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a limitation (due to what I can't recall either) to the number of forums that could be created.

Is filburt1 still correct about forum depth stressing out a server?

Thanks.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

This thread is over 2 years old and about vB2

Comment

• rnmcd
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          This thread is over 2 years old and about vB2
          I realize that but I am trying to find the limit. Somewhere I read that the limit is around 65,000, which I will be approaching. That's why I have requested a method to link multiple vB boards with one user log-in.

I'll post this over in the vB3 forum.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

vB is not designed to handle that many forums. It can handle a lot of posts and memners, but not thousands of forums. For more specific info, one of the Developers will need to respond.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rnmcd
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.5.x

I look forward to hearing from a developer. Thanks Steve M.

Comment

• Rich_Z
                • Feb 2002

I think I went to close to 500 forums on my site before I decided to tone it down a bit. I didn't have any technical problems, but the user based seemed befuddled by the complexity. I think it was as much as 5 levels deep, but may have been more. The structure seemed logical to me, but not everyone is used to thinking in a top down tree structure, I guess. Everyone wants everything right at their fingertips these days.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a method to tie multiple vBulletin sites together sharing the same user database. The capability is already in vb3 to link together sites, so maybe one further step would be interesting to implement. Especially if you were using a remote server for the MySQL engine. I can see where I may need to do that sometime in the future.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

500 is possible. I have seen sites running a lot more, even with 100+ users online and nearing 500.000 posts. But it might be nearing the limit.

Comment

• rnmcd
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
                    500 is possible. I have seen sites running a lot more, even with 100+ users online and nearing 500.000 posts. But it might be nearing the limit.
                    If you happen to recall any of those, please post a link

Thanks.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

If I remember correctly, they preferred to keep the URL quiet until 2005, so I am not sure if I am allowed to post it.

Comment

• rnmcd
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 3.5.x

I think I went to close to 500 forums on my site before I decided to tone it down a bit. I didn't have any technical problems, but the user based seemed befuddled by the complexity. I think it was as much as 5 levels deep, but may have been more. The structure seemed logical to me, but not everyone is used to thinking in a top down tree structure, I guess. Everyone wants everything right at their fingertips these days.
                        Hello Rich.Thanks for the input.

When you say you had 500 forums, did you have the forums only at the bottom of the tree structure or were there forums at different depths too?

I, too, am most comfortable with the "tree" ('Windows Explorer 'like) navigation but maybe other folks aren't.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a method to tie multiple vBulletin sites together sharing the same user database. The capability is already in vb3 to link together sites, so maybe one further step would be interesting to implement. Especially if you were using a remote server for the MySQL engine. I can see where I may need to do that sometime in the future.
                        Is this what you are talking about?:
                        I would like to run to different vBulletin boards but I don't want the users to have to take the time to register for each of them. Is there a way for me to set up vBulletin to allow users to login once and have access to both (or more) of my boards? Thank you.

I wonder if there is a way to utilize a flat file system with vB...it might be less taxing on the server.

Thank you.

Comment

• rnmcd
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 3.5.x

If I remember correctly, they preferred to keep the URL quiet until 2005, so I am not sure if I am allowed to post it.
                          I understand.

Do you know if they did any type of mods to the code to enable the large number of forums and users without stressing out the servers?

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

Nope, they didn't - they are limited by what datastore can cache or forumcache or whatever actually caches it.

Comment

• rnmcd
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 3.5.x

Nope, they didn't - they are limited by what datastore can cache or forumcache or whatever actually caches it.
                              then what? Their forums quits growing? I wonder if they have thought of a Plan B....that's what I'm trying to develop.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...