X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dilbert
    I know you said it as a joke, but just in case others didn't know... It's the same place you type the URL, simply type a URL, or your search terms. Pretty cool.
    Yeah.. something available in Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 8b2 as well. Though Firefox 3 doesn't give suggestions from search engines in its "Awesome Box" where as the omnibox in Chrome and Address Box in IE8 do.

Though since Chrome is open source, it won't be long until the functionality is matched in Firefox 3. Either through an extension or from Mozilla.

All in all, Chrome doesn't seem to offer anything truly innovative as of yet. Maybe that will be the next beta.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

I think the most innovative is how each tab is contained. I've had a few sites crash Chrome, and only once has it managed to really kill Chrome all together. The rest of the times, I just kill the other tab.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        I think the most innovative is how each tab is contained. I've had a few sites crash Chrome, and only once has it managed to really kill Chrome all together. The rest of the times, I just kill the other tab.
        Ends up being a lot of overhead though. I often have 20-30 tabs open in a browser. Each would have an application instance and all the overhead that goes with it. Would be good for development but really doesn't present the innovative web to the end-user. On the other hand, my Firefox 3 instance has been running since last week without any issues. I only closed it then because I had to reboot my machine to install IE8 Beta 2.

I don't know. It just seems underwhelming. Who knows in 2018 when it leaves Beta, it might be an awesome browser. Who knows but maybe this is really a late alpha and the functionality of microformats, accelerators and things that make the web interesting will come later. The "speed" and "performance" improvements they offer are non-existant on my computer. The barebones functionality might be an improvement on the old Athlon 1700 that I have upstairs though.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• KW802
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by dilbert
          I know you said it as a joke, but just in case others didn't know... It's the same place you type the URL, simply type a URL, or your search terms. Pretty cool.
          In my case what I really need are the Google Toolbar bookmarks since I rely upon them for switching between machines on a frequent basis.

Being able to enter a search term in the URL bar directly is something I can do already with FF.
          [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• ---MAD---
            • Jun 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
            Not intrested.
            CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Didn't take long for the backlash to get back to Silicon Valley.

Though they still plan to have the ability to track and store your movements if you use Chrome. Even 2% is a lot to store if 1 million people adopt the software and that might increase later. Since they'll store the IP address, they can use it for ad targeting as well.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Anyway, what I have found so far:

about:stats
                Very nice page, also, filter it on chrome to get specifics.

about:memory
                Also a nice page, especially if you hover down to th bottom left of the dialog and click on stats for nerds, which will let you compare other browsers against chrome. (so load firefox and ie and opera etc, and a bunch of tabs (all same site) and have fun comparing)

so:
                about: (just about: nothign else)
                about:stats
                about:memory
                about:hang
                about:histograms
                about:network
                about:crash
                about:plugins
                about:version
                about:dns
                about:cache
                about:internets (an easter egg it seems)

Zachery is right, the EULA is horrible. So I will use it as a 'trash' browser then.
                Also, what I really miss is integration with some of the Google own services, such as Google Bookmarks, Google Reader, no RSS live feeds, and other features. I know it's a beta, but what isn't. I can't seem to figure out how to Save a page, and I simply miss the File menubar. I use it more than you might think.

I am a bit disappointed that a known webkit exploit was usable just within an hour of Chrome being out: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843 - if it is a true exploit, that's perhaps debatable, but it won't be the only one: http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/6355

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

I noticed the lack of integration with Google's services as well. I can get notified if I get new email in GMAIL within Firefox and IE8. I can copy and email address and use it to send an email through GMAIL with an IE8 activity. I can customize GMAIL easily using Better GMAIL 2 in Firefox. With Google Maps, I can highlight an address in IE8 or Firefox and get an instant map and even driving directions. I can't even search Youtube from the Omnibox without adding it in manually. Should just be able to just click a link and have it added ala Firefox and IE7/8. Google should offer more in their own services.

Oh well maybe we'll see more in the next version that should be out soon considering security vulnerabilities were discovered in Chrome yesterday.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MrNase
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 3.8.x

I gave it a try on my gf's laptop (an old one running Win XP) and I'm amazed by the speed and I'm really excited about the future versions.
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

• TomJames
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 3.8.x

I like the speed of it, I thought it was nicely designed compared to FireFox but for now I still prefer IE8 and Opera. Looking forward to seeing what they do in future

but at the same time I don't have anything to hide....
                      But you still have curtains and would object to me having a cameras throughout your house right?
                      - TomJames

Comment

• rellek
                        • Apr 2002
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TomJames
                        But you still have curtains and would object to me having a cameras throughout your house right?
                        Thanks for that sentence. Thats categorized "sentenced that should have been mine"

Btw, Google has altered their EULA, see: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...me_eula_sucks/
                        Meow!

Please excuse my bad English.

Comment

• Kinneas
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Aye, EULA fixed.

I'm giving it a try now. It's pretty fast and sleek. Just using it at work for general browsing so It's doing a good job since I don't really need any plugins or extended functionality here.

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by rellek
                            Thanks for that sentence. Thats categorized "sentenced that should have been mine"

Btw, Google has altered their EULA, see: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...me_eula_sucks/
                            They claim that that part of the EULA was merely borrowed from another source, just like nearly all the features in Chrome.
                            Forums

Comment

• DelphiVillage
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 4.1.x

hi,

Google needs to focus on there main business (the search engine) everything else they do is complete bull****.Google software is an insult for every software developer.There browser is FULL of security holes

i have one advice to google leave the programming to people who know what they are doing ...

Comment

• ---MAD---
                                • Jun 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DelphiVillage
                                hi,

Google needs to focus on there main business (the search engine) everything else they do is complete bull****.Google software is an insult for every software developer.There browser is FULL of security holes

i have one advice to google leave the programming to people who know what they are doing ...
                                A company as big as Google has to expand in order to survive. Plus there's no point having money if it's not working for you .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...