X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Anime
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.7.x

being on a fixed income as i and many others i know are it would be nice to upgrade to an owned licence within the year of the leased licence, however it should only be open on one licence per person and only within that year.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

i currentley run vB on my site just because i have as yet to delete it sorry guys i have been offline almost from the day i transfered the licence it will be gone by this time and day next week i promice till then i got some posts to save in .txt format

with grandmas passing and dad falling and breaking a hip and an arm in 2 seperiate falls and putting our dog down i just havent had time or whatever to be online so much.

(EDIT) nevermind i deleted them just now (/EDIT)
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

but back on topic i love vB its a great product and i may get a new leased licence but i don't know as the upgrade time to an owned licence is too much.

at least with car leases (some of them) you can buy the car at the end of the lease by paying the difference.
    Last edited by Mike Anime; Thu 8 Jun '06, 7:24pm.

Comment

• hornstar6969
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

I wish the lifetime license was still there :/ lol
      Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Icheb
        • Nov 2002

What lifetime license? You can just buy an owned license and you can use for the rest of your life.

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Icheb
          What lifetime license? You can just buy an owned license and you can use for the rest of your life.
          Maybe he got confused with IPS's former lifetime license.
          Forums

Comment

• Neal-UK
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Icheb
            I don't get what the problems of some of these folks in here are.
            If the concept of a leased license is nothing for you, great. There are enough people in here who like it and use it.
            If the price of the product in general, whether leased or owned, is too high for you, I have a quick suggestion for you: don't use it. Get one of the many cheaper or even free alternatives.

You don't go to a BMW dealership either and say "that car isn't worth the 50k, I don't want to pay that much". You don't go to your realtor and say "that house isn't worth the 300k, I can't afford that. please lower the price so I can still get it".

If a product isn't worth the price, the market will regulate itself and the company will go bankrupt because no one will buy it. If it's worth it, people will buy it and no one cares if some random person can't afford it. And if you can't afford it, then a certain product just isn't for you. Live with it and move on. Jelsoft is doing strangely well when you consider that their only product is so expensive that no one can afford it.
            So stop with the complaining and get a life, so you can have some REAL problems to worry about.
            Very good points and well said my friend
            [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• doindashortywalk
              • Jun 2006

i say it is a rip off all together why not just use phpbb it has all the same stuff and it's FREE!!!!!

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

phpBB is hardly the same stuff for free

Comment

• badblu01
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Quillz
                  Why? A month is typically enough time to evaluate if it's worth upgrading to an owned license.

it just give a person more time to make their descion i know mine was about 40 days and it was annoying to pay the whole amount xxxx in a 40 day period.

I know a year is too long to evaluate the product but 60 days is a good time and is better value for money.
                  Cricket Talk
                  All Your Aussie + World Cricket Talk

Comment

• Neal-UK
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by doindashortywalk
                    i say it is a rip off all together why not just use phpbb it has all the same stuff and it's FREE!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Zachery
                    Don't rise to the "Log out, use another connection and e-mail, register and post silly message then log back in with my normal account with 73 vBulletin licenses" customer.
                    [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• Icheb
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Neal-UK
                      Don't rise to the "Log out, use another connection and e-mail, register and post silly message then log back in with my normal account with 73 vBulletin licenses" customer.
                      You caught me.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

I still think we could change the license type from owned to perpatual and make it $249 and make the leased license encoded and time + feature limited for $49. The price never changed and the features and everything else has proven to be quality and probably doubled and still the market leader, for over 5 years in a row. Just natrual progression to improve business. $160 is just way too cheap right now in my eyes for what you're actually getting.

Comment

• KimmiKat
                          • Jul 2003

With phpBB, you'll be there all day adding stuff into it that vB already has built-in. There's nothing wrong with phpBB as it is good getting your feet wet in the forum game (or using it for a private in-house board for your company) and moving to a paid software like vB or one of the others later.

Originally posted by Zachery
                          Be different, got with $250 and 50 and avoid the old "9" marketing thing!
                          Jelsoft could add the perpatual license option along with the current ones and see how many will purchase it.

Originally posted by Floris
                          I still think we could change the license type from owned to perpatual and make it $249 and make the leased license encoded and time + feature limited for $49. The price never changed and the features and everything else has proven to be quality and probably doubled and still the market leader, for over 5 years in a row. Just natrual progression to improve business. $160 is just way too cheap right now in my eyes for what you're actually getting.
                          Kim

Comment

• King Kovifor
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by coffeefix
                            Hi,

I am a former leased license holder, as you know the leased license costs $85, and is good for 1 year and after the year you have to renew or upgrade the license or remove the software from your site. Why even bother having the leased license then? Why not be more in line with your competitors? For example the cost of an IPB licensed (yearly) is $69 and after the year you can still run the version you have but no longer have access to updates- More than reasonable if you ask me. WBB (woltlab burning board software)- the cost of a starter license is $32 and allows you to use it forever. Other plans shown here: http://woltlab.de/products/burning_board/buy_en.php regardeless of the plan you have you can at least use the version you have for a lifetime.

I purchased my VB leased license in May of 2005 and obviously it expired and I had to remove the software, which I did. So basically I'm out $85 and what do I have to show for it?...... Nothing. I have no issues with the cost of the software itself but rather the amount of time a leased license holder is allowed to use the software. Why not allow the purcahser to at least run the version that they have at the time of license expiration? In my case I think it was 3.5.2 or 3.5.3? Again out $85 and nothing to show for it.

Just my thoughts.
                            The leased license is a very good price for the amount of features and the development that the software has. The leased license only limits your running time, if you'd like to run it longer, buy the owned license. They offer the leased license for the people who aren't sure if they'll use it. The software doesn't need a price lowered, or even a package removed. I'd personally buy the leased license and see how my site works out.

Comment

• coffeefix
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Floris

The question is would people buy it at that price? And what would happen to current license holders? $160 is doable, $249 is a bit steep IMO especailly if you have more than 1 site.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                                • Dec 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by coffeefix
                                The question is would people buy it at that price? And what would happen to current license holders? $160 is doable, $249 is a bit steep IMO especailly if you have more than 1 site.
                                agreed. I would never, ever, have been able to afford $249, whether it's worth it or not. You have to remember there are working-class people out here who have had to literally scrape and save the get the $160 together (I'm one of them). Increasing the price like that would put it way out of reach for the average person
                                Peggy
                                ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...