• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Satonam
    • Oct 2013
    • 5.0.X

Implementing a Professional Forum at my College

Greetings,
    I am a college student and I have been meaning to propose to my institution the idea of developing a discussion forum like this one. I joined hoping someone would aid me. If I am not mistaken, the price to purchase a New License is $249.00 and -I assume- since we are speaking about a forum for an institution, they probably would not accept my proposal without removing the copyright, which would cost an additional $209.00. With that said, I suspect that there are still plenty other issues I have yet to consider. I would also like to know whether it is possible to change the URL Address to something like [insert college abbreviation]Forums.edu ; as opposed to /.proboards.com/. Basically, I only want the service of a forum we could incorporate into the Official College Website for students to interact with other students and faculty as a way to enhance communication in a world where everyone lives by routine schedules which limit their choices and chances to meet with certain individuals. Am I in the right place? Is this the correct method? Could someone assist me with some guidance?

~Thank you.

Greetings,
    I am a college student and I have been meaning to propose to my institution the idea of developing a discussion forum like this one. I joined hoping someone would aid me. If I am not mistaken, the price to purchase a New License is $249.00 and -I assume- since we are speaking about a forum for an institution, they probably would not accept my proposal without removing the copyright, which would cost an additional $209.00. With that said, I suspect that there are still plenty other issues I have yet to consider. I would also like to know whether it is possible to change the URL Address to something like [insert college abbreviation]Forums.edu ; as opposed to /.proboards.com/. Basically, I only want the service of a forum we could incorporate into the Official College Website, for students to interact with other students and faculty, as a way to enhance communication in a world where everyone lives by routine schedules; which limit their choices and chances to meet with certain individuals. Am I in the right place? Is this the correct method? Could someone assist me with some guidance?

~Thank you.
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

All you need really is a domain of your choice (www.yourdomain.com) or .edu if your college can get one. Your vbulletin license and some hosting and your forum will be up and running in no time.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

If this is going to be official I would imagine your college already has web hosting capability. You would need to make sure they have PHP and MySQL available- if they are Microsoft based for example they may have only ASP and MSSQL which will not work with vBulletin.

The domain can be forum.college.edu or www.college.edu/forum whatever you want.

If it will be hosted apart from the main college website then it is cheap enough to register a custom domain and buy your own compatible hosting on something like www.college-forums.org (You won't be able to get an .edu address on your own.)

Comment

• Satonam
        • Oct 2013
        • 5.0.X

Alright, so first I have to find out whether the College Website uses PHP and MySQL? Would I be able to find that out by looking through the website itself or would I have to ask relevant staff within the college? If they don't support it, does that mean we'd need a new host? Or we just can't have it merged with the website?

Sorry, I spend a lot of time with the computer but I'm no techie. xD

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

Hi, you would need to ask your college if you can use their hosting account to host the forum, you may need to convince them it's a good idea and/or make a financial contribution. You would also need to ask them about a .edu domain. If the answer is no you can always find your own hosting and use a .com or .org domain.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...