Can I integrate a company's user authentication API with vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jorisw
    • Mar 2013

Can I integrate a company's user authentication API with vBulletin?

Hi,

We are looking for forum software that will allow us to, at not too high maintenance, create a single sign-on between vBulletin and our internal user authentication API, with the latter as the dominant authentication layer.

Does vBulletin allow for easy integration like this? For instance, could we develop a plug-in that replaces vBulletin's user layer with ours?

TIA.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Yes, there are specific APIs and Data Managers that you can use to do this. As a license owner, you will have access to all code to customise as you need however please note that we don't provide support for custom code or from any issues arising from it.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

While possible I've never seen anyone successfully override the vBulletin- usually in any bridge I've seen the VB system is dominant. This will not be a trivial matter.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Integrating vBulletin with a non-vB member system would require a rather extensive modification of the code. Of course, we cannot provide official support for code modifications. What most people do is modify their current system to use the vB member system.

Either way the place for help with this would be over at the mod site: https://www.vbulletin.org
        12 years later...

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

It has never been a goal of vBulletin to make it easier for people to bypass our login/security system, and I doubt it ever will be.

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
            It has never been a goal of vBulletin to integrate with existing systems like OpenID, OAuth, Microsoft's ActiveDirectory, or any other modern open user authentication standard.
            FIFY

Comment

• Anthony Marguccio
              • Apr 2013
              • 4.1.x

I was able to piece together enough information from vbulletin.org to integrate my site with MS Active Directory using a custom plugin that performed LDAP queries of AD. Single sign on was difficult because you have to hijack the vBulletin authentication system and make it issue the right cookies. It was possible on vB3 and vB4... It certainly wasn't easy and I have no idea if my approach will work in vB5!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...