X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markigno123
    • Feb 2013
    • 4.2.X

Questions about license

I have the need to creare a multi-site network in one domain. Every site will have their own forum node, with unique graphic, look and moderators, in the same forum domain/installation.

One example: this is the forum of Universal Music:http://forum.universalmusic.it
    There are an unique installation and unique domain, but various area with unique look/staff

example:
    Rihanna forum: http://forum.universalmusic.it/forum/f276-rihanna
    Justin Bieber forum: http://forum.universalmusic.it/forum/f302-justin-bieber
    Tokio Hotel Forum: http://forum.universalmusic.it/forum/f101-tokio-hotel

My question is: can i do this with 1 license?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

No, in the this case, a separate license would be required for each instance.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Sun 24 Feb '13, 9:52pm.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Markigno123
      • Feb 2013
      • 4.2.X

Why this? Technically are simply sub-forums with a custom skin...

Comment

• OhioDave
        Banned
        • Jul 2012

Why? Wouldn't it all be ran off one install? And they'd just have different sub forums???

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Markigno123
          Why this? Technically are simply sub-forums with a custom skin...
          Simple question - will this be a single installation of the software?
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Markigno123
            • Feb 2013
            • 4.2.X

Yes, single installation.

I simply want to create various sub-forums with different skins, but in one installation/domain.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

The forum linked to in the first post does not have a "forum home" where you can see all the forums as sub-forums of one big site. If they did then it would be 1 license.

You can set different styles for sub-forums without an issue, but they need to be part of a single forum- that is you can get from one forum to another somehow following links/breadcrumbs.

The forums in the link look like they are separate forums and you'd have no way of knowing the other forums existed so they are considered their own forums (need their own licenses.)

Comment

• Markigno123
                • Feb 2013
                • 4.2.X

Ah ok. I don't want to hide the "forum home" like the example, i simply want to create sub-forums with different look like the example with 1 installation.

That was i expected, i will consider vbulletin 5 for my future project. Thank you for the reply!

Comment

• OhioDave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Joe D.
                  The forum linked to in the first post does not have a "forum home" where you can see all the forums as sub-forums of one big site. If they did then it would be 1 license. You can set different styles for sub-forums without an issue, but they need to be part of a single forum- that is you can get from one forum to another somehow following links/breadcrumbs. The forums in the link look like they are separate forums and you'd have no way of knowing the other forums existed so they are considered their own forums (need their own licenses.)
                  lolwut?

Because a forum is hidden on the forum home, it requires a separate license now?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Always has actually... Anytime your try to segregate users like that requires a separate license.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Markigno123
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 4.2.X

Ok, but if don't hide the forum home, and make visible all part of my forum, can i do it? I don't want to make any content hidden, just to have many subforums with custom graphic (with only 1 installation/domain). Am i allowed to do this with 1 license?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

Yes, that is allowed. In the Forum Manager in the Admin CP you can set a specific style (skin) for each forum. You simply need to make the custom skins (with the custom graphics) and you can assign them to each forum,

The site will have the same Administrator(s) for all sections, but you can assign moderators to specific forums if you wish.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Very simple, if you present them as being separate forums then they ARE separate forums and require a license for each.

Looking at the links above, that is very clearly what you are doing. Each of those requires a separate license.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Autopilot
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Always has actually... Anytime your try to segregate users like that requires a separate license.
                            Hi Wayne, this is all very confusing. so what you're saying is that if I run a vb service with 5 different forums and segregate members in each forum then I require more than one license based on segregation? One for each segregated forum? Well I guess you are calling them channels now with vb5.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                              • Jul 2008

If a user from forum A isn't a registered user of forum B as well, they are 2 different forums as far as licences are concerned. Don't over-think this. Some users may not have permission based on usergroup but that is different.

Regardless of what happens with users the example cited in the 1st post also requires separate licences because there is no where you see each forum as part of a single, larger forum.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...