X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AffGuardDog
    • Apr 2007

Convert SMF Forum

Hello ~

I want to convert my SMF forum to vBulletin. I get a LOT of SE traffic for my forum, though, and I don't want to lose that. What do I need to do to make sure I don't lose that?

I think the main issue is ensuring that when the old URL is accessed, that the user is forwarded to that post in the new vBulletin system.

Thanks!
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Once you purchase a license, you can use the ImpEx system which will convert SMF into vB.
    Forums

Comment

• Sysop9001
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
      Once you purchase a license, you can use the ImpEx system which will convert SMF into vB.
      Yes, but anyway the URLs changed.
      You lose the present URL after importing your data in to vBulletin board, but Impex developer or vB developers can explain best that and probabily I am in error....I hope for you.

Comment

• AffGuardDog
        • Apr 2007

Yes, I have used Impex before... even to convert SMF - so that part I am aware of..

What I am interested in is what to do with the former URLS from SMF. I, obviously, do not want to lose rankings or piss off the almighty Google This is my main concern and I cannot purchase vBulletin for this site if I cannot resolve this issue.

The last site that I converted with Impex got removed from the index shortly thereafter and took a LONG time to get re-indexed. I have never gotten back the SERPS that I once had and I do not wish this to happen again.

BUT - I want to move to VB!

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

I don't think ImpEx changes your URL, as it literally converts one system to another. You can specify where you want the imported data to go, though.
          Forums

Comment

• AffGuardDog
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Quillz
            I don't think ImpEx changes your URL, as it literally converts one system to another. You can specify where you want the imported data to go, though.
            Impex does convert the forums - but vBulletin URLS are different from SMF urls. This is why the URLS change.

Unless I am missing something here??

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

The urls will be different because the systems have different file names.

There is a 301 redirect script that comes with Impex. I'm not fully sure how that works but I believe it was added in part due to concerns like yours. Hopefully someone with real knowledge of this will come along to address your query.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• AffGuardDog
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                There is a 301 redirect script that comes with Impex. I'm not fully sure how that works but I believe it was added in part due to concerns like yours. Hopefully someone with real knowledge of this will come along to address your query.

I hope so!!! I would love that script and that is exactly what I was looking for

Impex experts, please help! I want to purchase vB today for this site, if possible, and definitely need this implemented in order to do so.

Thanks so much.

Comment

• AffGuardDog
                  • Apr 2007

Anyone have any help for me?

Comment

• Sysop9001
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AffGuardDog
                    Anyone have any help for me?
                    If you have any valid vB license, open a support ticket for this that your question concern the help.

Comment

• AffGuardDog
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Masiello
                      If you have any valid vB license, open a support ticket for this that your question concern the help.

Yes, I have 2 valid vb licenses already, but since this is pre-sales support - shouldn't some vb expert come in here and give me a definitive answer prior to purchase? I would think so, so I am waiting for that answer from the vB clan.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

What your question?
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• AffGuardDog
                          • Apr 2007

My question is:

If I convert SMF to vBulletin, how can I ENSURE that all my previous SMF links are redirected to the proper URL in vBulletin?

For example, If I have a thread about Guard Dogs in SMF - and that thread is viewed a lot in the SMF forum and indexed & ranked in the SE's.... I want to make sure that when the surfer clicks on the link in Google - they go to the proper thread in the new vBulletin version of the forum (after Impex conversion, of course)

Pretty simple really, but I can't find any way that Impex does this. So - is there something I have to do to ensure this is the case??? Is there some automatic tool to do this that I know nothing about??? What is the protocol here?

Comment

• Jerry
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 1.1.x

There is a custom 404/301 script that comes with ImpEx in the tools folder.

Talked about though this link :

Setting that to respond with a 301 will update the SE to the new location as well as redirecting the incoming request.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...