Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KidneyBoy
    • Jun 2005

Powweb Hosting....Gonna Be A Problem?

Hey all. I'm anxiously awaiting the Gold release of 3.5. I haven't purchased yet, but as soon as its out (I just don't see the sense of ordering sooner just to play with beta/rc).

In any case, my current host is Powweb. I am pleased with them for such an affordable solution (I don't run a large board, at least compared to most of you guys). Here's my issue:

Powweb limits the number of queries to 72,000 per hour. I have roughly 3000 accounts (only about 200 active per day) and around 65000 posts. I already know that converting over in just one step will choke the max_questions limit. With the program ImpEX, is it set up so that you can run it in batches, as to limit the number of queries to the database per hour so I don't step over the max_questions limit?

If not, would this solution be possible: Powweb limits each MySQL user to 72,000 queries per hour. BUT they allow you 3 MySQL login/accounts. So combined that's 3 * 72,000. Is there a way to utilize this? Either a way to make a script that passes a token to the next account after a query, OR a way to randomize the selection of account to log in, thus utilizing the 3 accounts to run the converter?

I guess this leads me to another thought. For those users that run a board with a low max_questions limit, could such a script be created to utilize multiple accounts to run a board? (This probably should be directed at vb.org)

In any case, I'm not so much worried about the board going over it's max_questions limit when it's running, but I am worried about it when I try to convert over from phpBB 2.0.17 to vBulletin 3.5 gold.

I sure hope this post makes sense.

Take it easy
    KidneyBoy
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Not sure if there is a way to split quieries for hte import or run it in parts, but this is what I would do:

1. Install apache/php/mysql on your local pc.
    2. Install VBulletin to your local pc (for testing) and to your site in a new DB if possible.
    3. Make a backup of your current db and turn off your site for a few min.
    4. Import your backup on to your pc.
    5. Run the Import to VB locally on your PC. Back up the newly imported DB
    6. Restore the newly imported backup to your server

edit: for that matter, im not sure if hte import would even make you go over your limit if its per hour.... not sure about that one.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I think Johns advice here is on the bat, that or finding another hoswt that doesn't limit you on max_questions :/

Comment

• KimmiKat
        • Jul 2003

I was a customer of PW until the max_questions were put in affect and knocked out my mboard every so often. At the time the limit was 36,000 although I was using a rotating script to triple that number. You can search their support forum (which uses vB) for the script.

If that don't work and need to change host, they do offer refunds for unused time.

The following is a link to their forum about a script for the 3 user thing....

Link: mysql 3 user script thread
        Last edited by KimmiKat; Wed 17 Aug '05, 1:54pm.
        Kim

Comment

• AmericanPsych0
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.5.x

"... you will begin to receive 'max_questions' errors until the end of the hour, and your quota is reset."

If you start the import at the end of one hour and it spills into the next halfway through, that should do it too, right?

Comment

• KidneyBoy
            • Jun 2005

After reading Kimmikat's link, that's the impression I'm getting. On top of that, they *DO* offer a rotating script that will randomly select one of three accounts thus increasing your max_questions potentially to 216,000. The link explains how to modifly your config file to acheive this.

Take it easy
            KidneyBoy

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Or they could just ban tosh like PHPNuke.

Comment

• guydogg
                • Jan 2005

So this works with Vbulletin then.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

What works with vb? Thier random db script?
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• KimmiKat
                    • Jul 2003

It should. I worked with IPB when I had my site on PW. I didn't try it with vB since I didn't migrate board software until I moved the site to a new host.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                    What works with vb? Thier random db script?
                    Kim

Comment

• dreamer81
                      • May 2005
                      • 3.7.x

i have only heard bad things about powweb...
                      pick www.hostingzoom.com instead.
                      My site
                      www.coolservice.dk

Comment

• KidneyBoy
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by dreamer81
                        i have only heard bad things about powweb...
                        pick www.hostingzoom.com instead.
                        I would agree with that a year ago. They have really been running quite smoothly as of late (at least my server is which is pluto.powweb.com). I can only recall once the site was down in the past year, and that was only for a few minutes, then it came back up (of course I've just jinxed myself by saying that).

Anyway, I will take a look at hostingzoom's TOS and consider them. My powweb account is due up in November.

Take it easy
                        Kidney

Comment

• mikecp421
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 5.3.x

sorry I didn't see this earlier but avoid powweb like the plague if you are running a forum and want it to be "up" most of the time!
                          lincolnsofdistinction.org

Comment

• jamyam
                            • Sep 2004

I've been using Powweb for a while now and they've been fine for me, albeit I don't have a very busy board. To each their own I guess!

Comment

• TygerTyger
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.6.x

If they're any good, they'll simply disable the limit to allow you to import your board, then turn it back on.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...