X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

How much have you disabled here?

I see a few things just don't work here and I've read that many things were disabled to get the "performance" that we see here on vb.com.
    I'm interested to see a list of everything that has been disabled here to get this site working as you have it now.

Example the who's online isn't turned on, the search isn't working very well either.
    What else has been disabled and when will it be working again like it was a few weeks ago (pre-vb5)

Thanks
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Add to this: Is running Varnish (or any another HTTP proxy) a prerequisite to make vB 5 somewhat work?

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Search does work but it currently displays all the results on one page, hence it often fails.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Loco.M
        Loco.M commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the reason behind my "my post" thread bug, was something to do with search?
    • Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

As far as I am aware, the only thing that is explicitly disabled is the Who's Online modules and page.

Larger sites are going to want to have aggressive caching. I wouldn't say Varnish is required but you should use either the Filesystem Cache or Memcache on your site. There is an option to store templates in the file system as well which provides a slight benefit to page loads but not as much as hoped for in the past. We're aware the performance here sucks and they are working to improve it.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Loco.M
        Loco.M commented
        Editing a comment
        What was the reason behind disabling the who's online?
        I don't see a whole bunch of users on at one time, but that's really based on recent post since it's turned off.

thanks
    • snakes1100
      • Aug 2001

The performance is still hideous at this point, even with who's online disabled.
      Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Grotesque
        • Dec 2012
        • 4.2.X

Im guessing they took it off, as its bugged right now. It loads all users who registered on the board, rather than showing who is actually online. It doesnlt keep track on the stats such as '' most users online '' either.

Comment

• digitalpoint
          • Mar 2004
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          Search does work but it currently displays all the results on one page, hence it often fails.
          I don't know about you, but "often failing" is not the same as working.

Someone give me a license to vB5 so I can make a search that works. haha
          Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
          Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Loco.M
            I've read that many things were disabled to get the "performance" that we see here on vb.com.
            I've read many things, the vast majority of it (like this) is nothing more than made up nonsense.

When we first cut-over to vB5, one specific query was making the database server very sad. This was traced to a typo in a query used by three areas, the WOL module, the WOL page, and forum runner. During this process, we disabled the WOL module, and restricted the WOL page to staff. The typo in the query was fixed, and teh database was happy.

That was pretty much the end of a very long day, and restoring WOL was not high on anyones priority list.
            The issue was considered the next day, but we decided not to put the WOL module back, because besides the query (now fixed) it was noted that a bug still existed in it, such that its count was incorrect anyway. It will therefore not return until the bug is fixed. As for the WOL page, I just never got round to changing the perissions back.

Nothing else is or was disabled - sorry to burst the bubble of whoever makes these things up, but Im afraid reality is not quite the same as the nonsense they would have you believe.

Originally posted by AlexanderT
            Add to this: Is running Varnish (or any another HTTP proxy) a prerequisite to make vB 5 somewhat work?
            Again, this is just people trying to make things into what they are not.

Varnish has been active since 11th Sept (2012), when we moved the site and (vB4) forums to the new servers, its was actually more for Magento than the forums.

If you are logged into the forum, you bypass varnish anyway, as does anyone using forumrunner or mobile, or anyone using https.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Paul M
              I am honored that you're referring to my opinion as the opinion of people. But then again, what you think is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Comment

• OhioDave
                OhioDave commented
                Editing a comment
                I lol'd in real life over this.
            • Damlucy
              • Nov 2005

You do know you are contradicting yourself here? Yeah of course you do ... tut

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Damlucy
                You do know you are contradicting yourself here? Yeah of course you do ... tut
                It depends on the search term. If it's something that's going to return every second post made, then it'll likely fail. If it's something with 20-30 results, it will work. Not ideal but not much we as Support can do about it other than press our wishes for it to be fixed I'm afraid...
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Paul M
                  Former Lead Developer
                  vB.Com & vB.Org
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                  I am honored that you're referring to my opinion as the opinion of people. But then again, what you think is pretty much irrelevant to me.
                  Just as the ramblings of trolls such as you is of little interest to me. However, I still need to correct your drivel now and then.

Comment

• Globus
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Mister Poul can blame anyone even a bad weather TV presenter on trolling not to mention customers of the company he works for. Dono how people with such attitude get a jobs.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                      • Mar 2003

Just as the ramblings of trolls such as you is of little interest to me.
                      You know, Paul, I feel sorry for you. You are destined to stick with vB for eternity. No other employer would allow employees to insult their customers with name-calling, in particular as frequently as you do. You are an angry man, and I guess vB is the right therapy for you to foster your anger.

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Ahhhh, you feel sorry for me, that's nice, but unnecessary. Thanks anyway.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...