Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Getting a lot of 503-Temporary Overload and other errors

My website has been running more or less well for 3 months, today I began getting a number of Temporary Overload - 503 errors... Before these started the entire site was down for about 15 minutes with the following error on all PHP pages:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /home/juot/public_html/forums/index.php on line 468

Obviously the exact numbers and line numbers were different on various php pages but I couldn't access anything, including the admin menu.

I contacted the hosting company and they gave me this reponse and closed the trouble ticket:

Hello,

It seems that the issue with your website is caused because the memory_limit set for the execution of a component includes on your front page is exhausted. However this limit is lower than the memory_limit set globally on the server which is 96MB. You may check the global memory limit via the following URL:

<Link to phpinfo confirming 96 MB limit>

The error should be caused because you have different memory_limit set in one of the your components scripts. I have tried to find which is the exact scripts but unfortunately to no avail. You should review your scripts and remove or change any lines which has the memory_limit set to a different value than the global one on the server and the issue should be resolved.

In order to complete the above you may also contact an expert local web developer. S/He should be able to set the memory_limit hardcoded in your scripts to 96MB or to remove the lines which are settings this limit. This way you will use the global memory_limit setup on the server.

Unfortunately we do not offer such development services at this time.

If you have any other questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us.
    OK, the only scripts I'm running is Vbulletin 3.7.2 and a few popular add ons that have been running more or less fine for 3 months now- this issue started today... the database size (per the .sql file I download as a backup) is about ~80 MB...

I find it hard to believe that vbulletin hard-codes a maximum memory limit somehwere- am I wrong? If so how would I change it?

Thanks.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Your PHP does not have enough memory allocated to it to complete this operation. Ask your host to increase the 'memory_limit' variable in php.ini to at least 32M.

To temporarily up your limits edit your includes/config.php file and add these lines right under the <?php line:

ini_set('memory_limit', 32 * 1024 * 1024);
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Your PHP does not have enough memory allocated to it to complete this operation. Ask your host to increase the 'memory_limit' variable in php.ini to at least 32M.

To temporarily up your limits edit your includes/config.php file and add these lines right under the <?php line:

ini_set('memory_limit', 32 * 1024 * 1024);

I do believe the php.ini limit is 96 MB per the information I posted- would phpinfo() show me a different limit?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If that were the case you would not get that error.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Thanks... it was probably a temporary thing then with the hosting company because the fatal error did end up going away after 15 minutes or so- would adding the line
          ini_set('memory_limit', 96 * 1024 * 1024); do any harm (or any good)?
          I can confirm with phpinfo() the limit is set to 96MB, as it has been, though some hardware or software error this morning must have cuased it to be significantly less than that for a short time.

What really puzzled me more than the fatal errors was the large numbers of "Temporary Overload" messages I got in the hours follwoing it... I took the forum offline for about a half hour and ran the table optimizer and brought i back up- so far so good, don't want to jinx it but back seems to be acting normal again.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

If you are not getting any errors now then this was probably a temporary server glitch.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...