X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AcquaCheta
    • Jan 2008

Czech diacritics - words cut

Hello,

I bought my licence today and installed the board. Now I am playing with the settings etc. When I tried to translate some parts of the English language pack through the Mod Control Panel, I noticed that some Czech diacritics do not work. Surprisingly, letters unique to Czech or to Slavic languages in general went through (ř, š etc.) but accented vowels also used in other languages (á, é etc.) did not.

So when I type příklad and save, I get only. When I type příklad slovo, I also get only. In other words, when a "blacklisted" letter appears in a field, the following text gets cut out completely.

I thought I'd solve this problem by uploading a language pack edited normally and not through the MCP. Unfortunately, I later found out that the problem affects anything I write in the forum - be it in general settings (like the name of the forum) or even in posts!

Diacritics are abundant in Czech texts so it is not something I could just put up with. There are vB-powered Czech forums that use correct Czech both in threads and in forum customized phrases.

What can I do, please?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Did you remove the blank character stripper?

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Censorship Options -> Blank Character Stripper

Try removing the value of that setting completely.

Comment

• AcquaCheta
      • Jan 2008

Thanks but it didn't help.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

In that case there is probably a problem with the presentation. Make sure you are using an appropriate HTML charset and collation in the database. UTF-8 should work.

1) The HTML charset is in your:

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> [Edit Settings] -> HTML Character Set

Set this to UTF-8

2) Make sure your database collations are also utf-8. There is a collation called utf8_czech_ci which looks promising. You need to use program like phpmyadmin to view your collations and change them all to be the same:

When you click your database name in phpmyadmin it will list all tables, their collations, as well as the collation of the database itself at the bottom. And when you click the name of a table on the left it will list the collations of individual fields within that table. All of these collations need to be consistent.

1) To edit the collation of the database itself you need to click the database name on the left and then click "Operations" on the top.

2) To edit the collation of an individual table you need to click its name on the left and then click "Operations" on the top.

3) To edit the collation of an individual field within a table you need to click the table name on the left and then click the edit image (a little pencil icon) for that field.

Comment

• AcquaCheta
          • Jan 2008

Wow, you saved my day. I have to look at the collation thingy yet but for the issues I had, your first tip worked.

Thanks!

Comment

• slappy
            • Apr 2003

Just a wild guess here, but have you set your language code and/or HTML character set to include a language code and/or HTML character set which includes the proper Czech diacritics as part of the available set?

You can check your settings in the Language Manager in the AdminCP. I really don't know what might be the correct settings for proper Czech diacritics but I would be fairly certain there has to be one for the language and probably UTF-8.

Oops. To slow. Jake already said what I offered.

Regards,
            Slappy

Comment