Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep getting server is too busy messages, but the server isn't busy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keep getting server is too busy messages, but the server isn't busy?

    I called my hosting company and they said that the server is not busy nor is the database, and that the reason I keep getting this message has to do with the software and likely the install of the software.

    Is there a simple fix for this? I never had problems until a few days ago. Coincidentally, I recently made one or two changes in the admincp where there were warnings that they would increase server load, but wouldn't be an issue for smaller forums (I consider mine small).

    Could that be the problem or is it something else? I would have thought that if selected those options would have increased server load, then go daddy would have noticed it on their servers?
    Last edited by verbs; Sat 13th Jan '07, 9:51pm.

  • #2
    I guarantee this is a server error. If you could provide the exact error we may be able to pinpoint it even more.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      I guarantee this is a server error. If you could provide the exact error we may be able to pinpoint it even more.
      The weird thing is that I am not getting any error emails. My config file appears to be setup appropriately, yet nothing is getting sent to me.

      I am on a shared server so I am not sure how much usage other people are taking up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        I guarantee this is a server error. If you could provide the exact error we may be able to pinpoint it even more.
        For some reason I am not getting emails letting me know that there is a server error. How can I fix this? I think my config file is setup OK.

        Comment


        • #5
          If you have the correct technicalemail address in config.php, then make sure you are not logging errors to a file if you want to get these emails:

          Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Error Handling & Logging -> Log Database Errors to a File

          P.S. This is only for database and server error. Emails are not sent for 'server busy' errors.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

          Steve Machol Photography


          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            If you have the correct technicalemail address in config.php, then make sure you are not logging errors to a file if you want to get these emails:

            Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Error Handling & Logging -> Log Database Errors to a File

            P.S. This is only for database and server error. Emails are not sent for 'server busy' errors.

            Nothing is being set to a file, however I think I just figured out the reason I'm getting the server busy messages; my NIX server load rating was set to 5. I noticed I was getting the errors when my load went up to 7 or so. I bumped the NIX server load rating up to 40 and all seems to be well.

            Should I have been getting an error message in those situations?

            Comment


            • #7
              No, you do not get error emails on server load issues. Also the Admin is exempt from seeing that error.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

              Steve Machol Photography


              Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                No, you do not get error emails on server load issues. Also the Admin is exempt from seeing that error.
                Gotcha, thank's for all the help

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by verbs View Post
                  Nothing is being set to a file, however I think I just figured out the reason I'm getting the server busy messages; my NIX server load rating was set to 5. I noticed I was getting the errors when my load went up to 7 or so. I bumped the NIX server load rating up to 40 and all seems to be well.

                  Should I have been getting an error message in those situations?
                  How does one check to see what the NIX server load rating is?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tony diaz View Post
                    How does one check to see what the NIX server load rating is?
                    Admincp-->VBulletin Options-->VBulletin Options-->Server Settings and Optimization Options-->NIX Server Load Limit

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      we were getting 500 server errors and were able to track the problem down to

                      a faulty rss url. the url was 'bad' and it would hang the job (ie never finish). Then after awhile another would start with the bad url. it took about 12 hours to max out our server.

                      once we fixed the faulty url, everything is back to normal.
                      Have a nice day
                      http://www.duneram.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We don't currently use that option as it's set to "0". would it be better to use that option vs not?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X