Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfish
    • Feb 2006

Search term with apostrophe gives 403 error

Generally, my board works fine and the search works perfectly except...

If a user enters one or more search terms that include an apostrophe such as the word "can't", the search returns a valid list of threads which looks fine. However, if the user clicks on any of the links to view that thread, they get a 403 "Forbidden" error.

Could this be something to do with the "highlight=" terms appended to the URL? I see that the highlight term "can't" is appended as highlight=can%27t. Or is it a magic quote issue or maybe a character set issue...

My vBulletin: CADTutor - AutoCAD Forums
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

I can not duplicate this problem here at vbulletin.com.

To troubleshoot this, please remove any hacks and disable your plugins, then see if you still have this problem.
    Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

If so, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

If your problem still exists, please create a new Style with no Parent set. Now browse the forum using this new style, do you still have the same problems?
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Probably a mod_security issue

Comment

• cfish
        • Feb 2006

OK, I disabled all plugins using your config.php change and I set the style back to the default vB style so no products/plugins or template hacks were being used. No other files have been altered.

I also changed the characterset back to the default (I was using UTF-8).

The problem is still there.

Since I still seem to have this problem with a "virgin" vB board, I'm guessing this must be a server/apache issue?

Any ideas?

Comment

• cfish
          • Feb 2006

Bingo!

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
          Probably a mod_security issue
          OK, so I added a .htaccess file to my forum folder as described in this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167121

...and everything now works as it should.

I don't know what mod_security is but it looks like the .htaccess just turns it off. Is this a good idea? Is there a better way to configure mod_security rather than just turning it off?

Comment

• cfish
            • Feb 2006

Unhappy Web Host

My web host was VERY unhappy about Zachery's .htaccess fix and I have been asket to remove it. They believe this is a major compromise to security.

So, what I need to know is: what is the best way to configure mod_security to allow vB to function correctly?

Comment

• cfish
              • Feb 2006

A solution

The problem has now been solved with a tweak to the mod_security filter.

This is the bit:

#SecFilterSelective ARG_highlight "(\x27|%27|\x2527|%2527)"

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

If your webhost doesn't like you disabling mod_security via .htaccess then they shouldn't have it configured to allow you to disable it.

Comment

• cfish
                  • Feb 2006

They don't allow it at all on their shared and reseller servers but I have a little more control, being on a VPS.

However, it does look as though the issue is now resolved but it would be good to know what the recommended settings for mod_security are for a pain-free vBulletin deployment.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...