X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topmedic
    • May 2006
    • 3.8.x

gif thumbnail labeled as jpeg

I have thumbnail enabled with border and dimensions. However, if I attach a GIF image, its thumbnail is labeled as a JPEG (see attached). I understand GD needs to convert the thumbnail to JPEG in order to generate it but should the label on the thumbnail be GIF? After all, the original image is still a GIF. This confuses my users thinking their image's format has been converted after upload.

Click image for larger version

Name:	giftest2.gif
Views:	1
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	3702428

Sorry if this has been answered before. I did try searching.
    Last edited by Topmedic; Mon 21 Aug '06, 5:30pm. Reason: typo
  • Topmedic
    • May 2006
    • 3.8.x

Anyone?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

If it says jpg then your image has been converted to a GIF, probably because your PHP installation is lacking GIF creation support.

Comment

• Topmedic
        • May 2006
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
        If it says jpg then your image has been converted to a GIF, probably because your PHP installation is lacking GIF creation support.
        Thanks for the response, Freddie, but I do have gif support creation enabled.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

What downloads when you open "This is a GIF"? A gif or a jpg?

Comment

• Topmedic
            • May 2006
            • 3.8.x

What downloads when you open "This is a GIF"? A gif or a jpg?
            a gif

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

Your first attachment in this thread is a GIF and is labelled properly so it does work properly here. You can open a support ticket directed towards me and I'll take a closer look. Include an ftp login and an admin login to your forum.

Comment

• Topmedic
                • May 2006
                • 3.8.x

Your first attachment in this thread is a GIF and is labelled properly so it does work properly here.
                Sure, because it's not "thumbnail with the dimensions enabled". The label I was referring to is to right of the dimensions, not the file extension when the thumbnails are enabled with borders and dimensions. That is not the case in this Forum so I don't think we are duplicating the problem. If you have to test it with thumbnail enabled with borders and dimensions for gifs, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                  • May 2000
                  • 1.1.x

I am confused then.

"thumbnail enabled with borders and dimensions" is enabled on this forum. Your uploaded image is a GIF and was thumbnailed. The thumbnail correctly labels the image as a GIF.

Isn't that a duplicate of your situation other then your image was labelled as a JPG?

Comment

• Topmedic
                    • May 2006
                    • 3.8.x

I am confused then.

"thumbnail enabled with borders and dimensions" is enabled on this forum. Your uploaded image is a GIF and was thumbnailed. The thumbnail correctly labels the image as a GIF.

Isn't that a duplicate of your situation other then your image was labelled as a JPG?
                    I apologize for the confusion, Freddie, but I am not seeing any thumbnail on the attachments here, thumbnail (as I understand it) being a smaller version of the original picture not just a clickable filename. Maybe I am just confused myself. I'll try to come up with some more illustrated examples. Thanks for your time.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                      • May 2000
                      • 1.1.x

There is a thumbnail in your first post, perhaps you've disabled seeing images on this forum but it is there. Doesn't matter though, I can only answer your problem by investigating your setup.

Comment

• Topmedic
                        • May 2006
                        • 3.8.x

There is a thumbnail in your first post, perhaps you've disabled seeing images on this forum but it is there. Doesn't matter though, I can only answer your problem by investigating your setup.
                        Done, Freddie. Support ticket sent. Thanks.
                        Last edited by Topmedic; Tue 22 Aug '06, 11:37am. Reason: added additional info

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...