Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • majorj0nny1
    • Jul 2005

Firefox Fast, IE randomly slow?

Ok - my site www.50klicks.com was running perfectly for a long time. A couple of months ago the whole site slowed down for most users - for some, much slower than for others.

I cant see that it was anything to do with my side of things as I hadnt even done any modifications for a while around the period the site slowed.

Now some users report its okish... some say its so slow they can only user firefox to view the site.

Ive since noticed running Azureus at the same time as accessing the site causes to site to 'act strangly', hanging, locking up.. ect.... Perhaps some weird IE java problem ?

Since I changed nothing on my site when the slowdown occured - does this point to it being a hosting issue? we have had issues with then before - every time we complain they say nothings wrong their end, but ion pressing them more they finally 'find' some problem their end... In the past they had to move our site to a different server, im wondering if the same could be the case here?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That is a portal page, not vB. You might want to ask at vBAdvanced.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• majorj0nny1
      • Jul 2005

I already have - but the performace issues extend to my forums also ?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

The reason for the slowdown is the style you are using has nested tables, which IE waits for all tabular data to be recived before rendering, where as firefox renders first and asks questions later.

Comment

• majorj0nny1
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
          The reason for the slowdown is the style you are using has nested tables, which IE waits for all tabular data to be recived before rendering, where as firefox renders first and asks questions later.
          Im confused - I heard about this 'nested tables' thing before... but how come its gone from working perfectly for all the time we have used those styles - to suddenly being dog slow ? Also - why does this follow the default VB style also ?

How can I create a new default style to test ?

thanks,

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

vBulletin does not have nested tabels for the most part, some design rely on nested nested nested nested tables. Which is where things slowdown.

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > add new style

Comment

• majorj0nny1
              • Jul 2005

Im still confused ...

what are nested tables? how do I know where they are? can they be removed? what do I look for ?

It just confuses me that our site was perfectly fast in IE till a period when it ground to a hault for many users... since then its been ok for some, slightly slow for others, and for others till its been totally unusable in IE...

I myself had no problems with it on my home PC - until I recently upgraded and re-softwared - now its VERY slow for me too ? some 30 seconds page load time typically ??? its just beyond me as to whats going on.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Nested tabews are tables within tables.

HTML Code:
                <table>
                <tr>
                <td>
                </td>
                </tr>
                </table>
                Good

HTML Code:
                <table>
                 <tr>
                   <td>
                     <table>
                       <tr>
                        <td></td>
                       </tr>
                     </table>
                   </td>
                  </tr>
                </table>
                Bad

The problem with your forum style is
                HTML Code:
                <table>
                <tr>
                <td> side image</td>
                <td>
                ALL FORUM HTML HERE
                </td>
                <td> side image </td>
                <tr/>
                </table>
                So, it needs to download the ENTIRE page before showing anything.
                Last edited by Zachery; Fri 14 Apr '06, 12:45pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...