Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weitalia
    • Jul 2004

MySQL Error : The table 'session' is full

today i have this error on my board, table session was like 16mb, i dumped the table and i truncate it and it seem to be solved. There are some problem in future with this solution? Why it give me session table full?

Error Number : 1114
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Sounds like your scheudaled tasks are not runing.

Comment

• weitalia
      • Jul 2004

it is connected to this?

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by weitalia
        how large is your largest mysql database on the server, and how large is the largest table in any mysql database not just mysql ?

/tmp default for mysql unless you set tmpdir to another path in my.cnf needs at least 3x times the free space as your largest mysql database/table
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• weitalia
          • Jul 2004

my largest mysql database: 600 Mb
          my largest mysql database's table: 150MB

/tmp dir is 1GB
          i need to ask to increase it?

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

fine a larger partition via this command in ssh telnet

df -h

usually /home is pretty big and create new directory called mysqltemp at /home/mysqltemp and chmod it 0777

and edit /etc/my.cnf under [mysqld] group add

tmpdir = /home/mysqltemp

then restart mysql server and you're new tmpdir for mysql will be at /home/mysqltemp
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• weitalia
              • Jul 2004

this way resolve problems of custom partition of /tmp dir
              thanks

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

No probs

Comment

• fastforward
                  • Nov 2000

The error you are getting has nothing to with the size of /tmp. The session table is a HEAP table. HEAP tables are stored in memory.

The default maximum size for HEAP tables is 16MB. Attempting to use more than this will result in the 'table full' error.

You just need to increase the max_heap_table_size parameter in your MySQL configuration.
                  http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

You can try both suggested fixes and see if it helps

but max_heap_table_size change won't help unless you recreate or alter or truncate the heap table, as once HEAP tables hit their 16MB limit they SHOULD automatically convert to MYISAM disk based tables and use /tmp unless you set tmpdir in my.cnf

max_heap_table_size

This variable sets the maximum size to which MEMORY tables are allowed to grow. The value of the variable is used to calculate MEMORY table MAX_ROWS values. Setting this variable has no effect on any existing MEMORY table, unless the table is re-created with a statement such as CREATE TABLE or altered with ALTER TABLE or TRUNCATE TABLE.
                    #

MEMORY table contents are stored in memory, which is a property that MEMORY tables share with internal tables that the server creates on the fly while processing queries. However, the two types of tables differ in that MEMORY tables are not subject to storage conversion, whereas internal tables are:

If an internal table becomes too large, the server automatically converts it to an on-disk table. The size limit is determined by the value of the tmp_table_size system variable.

MEMORY tables are never converted to disk tables. To ensure that you don't accidentally do anything foolish, you can set the max_heap_table_size system variable to impose a maximum size on MEMORY tables. For individual tables, you can also specify a MAX_ROWS table option in the CREATE TABLE statement.
                    what vB version you're using as well as do you have any custom code in the footer template of your forums ? if you do revert your footer template. You made a change somewhere that stopped the Scheduled Tasks from running and clearing our this table on a regular basis
                    Last edited by George L; Mon 13 Feb '06, 3:14am.

Comment

• fastforward
                      • Nov 2000

Originally posted by eva2000
                      Y... as once HEAP tables hit their 16MB limit they SHOULD automatically convert to MYISAM disk based tables and use /tmp unless you set tmpdir in my.cnf
                      Internal tables will be converted (i.e. system created temporary tables). HEAP tables are never converted to disk.
                      Last edited by fastforward; Mon 13 Feb '06, 4:50am.
                      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

whops

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

anyway sessions should never grow that large to begin with

if you have any custom code in the footer template of your forums, you do revert your footer template. As a change in the footer, somewhere possibly stopped the Scheduled Tasks from running and clearing out this table on a regular basis

Comment

• Hardwaregeeks
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by eva2000
                            anyway sessions should never grow that large to begin with

if you have any custom code in the footer template of your forums, you do revert your footer template. As a change in the footer, somewhere possibly stopped the Scheduled Tasks from running and clearing out this table on a regular basis
                            This post helped me fix a problem. Thanks

My host had a major boo boo and for 18 days we had the wrong date on the server. Host was AFK and thankfully we are now with a dedicated server that we can manage. but we just had this error and it was because the cron jobs next scheduled run is for the 18th of March. Good thing we fixed the date bug and I don't mind running the cron jobs manually until then.

Comment

• hapbird
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3.6.x

we just ran into this same error

Is max_heap_table_size the root issue here?

Originally posted by weitalia
                              today i have this error on my board, table session was like 16mb, i dumped the table and i truncate it and it seem to be solved. There are some problem in future with this solution? Why it give me session table full?

Error Number : 1114
                              Have a nice day
                              http://www.duneram.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...