Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex
    • Mar 2001

Karma - How does it work?

Can somebody explain how the new karma function works in detail? Which admin options will be included? Are there possibilities to configure different points for example open a thread, how many have viewed the thread, how many have replied, points for an answer, automatic update, if threads are merged/splitted?

Would be nice, if you have time to explain that function a little bit more. Thanx!
    Greetz Alex
    Spasschat-Team - the best chat, you've ever seen :)
  • SaintDog
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.5.x

Karma is basically a rating system, in general. You post and gain Karma for your posts, within your post you also have a button which will allow others to rate your post(s) (whether they think it was helpful or useless), if helpful, your karma will raise, if not then it will drop.

You also gain points for posting new threads, some hack hacked it to where if you are a member for XX, then your karma raises, ect. There are many possibilities, just depends on your board and how it is used.

Karma is used in many different ways, one of which includes finding new mods (higher karma may mean they are more trustworthy). Karma will also let you know who the spammers are, in some cases, seeing as most will mark them with bad comments, makes it easy when needing to decide whether or not to ban someone .

Many use the karma system that Overgrow developed a while back for his vBulletin board, I would think the vB3 version would function the same way, or better.

Of course, I cannot explain it in detail, being that I did not code it and am not, by far, a PHP/MySQL Guru, but that is the basics of the karma system. It is really a lot better than I made it sound, it just comes with what you plan on using it for as to whether or not it will be useful to you .

- SaintDog

Comment

• Overgrow
      • May 2000

I can't speak for the vB developers, but they have taken my Karma code for study and possible inclusion in vB3. If that's the case then you do not gain karma points by reading or posting, only through other member's clicks. Rewarding turbo-posters with higher karma is not a good idea, IMO.

Edit: I checked the vb3 preview site and it certainly looks like my karma code that they used. (They were generous for it, thanks guys.) So if you have questions, don't confuse it with the publically available hack that was unfortunately also called Karma.

How does it work?

-each registered member starts out with 10 karma points in their pocket
      -you can rate any post by clicking on the small reputation button
      -you can only rate each post once
      -each time you rate a post you affect that poster's karma
      -the amount that you affect their karma depends on a few things, but basically an older member with lots of posts and lots of karma will affect someone elses karma much more than a new member with no posts
      -generally someone with high karma is a respected person and someone with low or negative is either new or a jerk
      -every aspect is configurable in the cpanel

That's it in a nutshell.
      Last edited by Overgrow; Tue 5 Nov '02, 2:47am.
      vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
      Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
      presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Overgrow
        I can't speak for the vB developers, but they have taken my Karma code for study and possible inclusion in vB3. If that's the case then you do not gain karma points by reading or posting,.
        There is an option in vB3 to award points for posting.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Alex
          • Mar 2001

Thanx Steve, that is, what i wanted to know.

Then there will also be an option to update user points, who wrote postings and threads before, right?

What i mean is, i will start with the Points from VB3 on. But most users have registered and written Posts before. So there should be an option to update their user information with the points for the Postings and Thread Starts before VB3.
          Greetz Alex
          Spasschat-Team - the best chat, you've ever seen :)

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Good question. I would assume this would be retroactive but I'm not certain.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...