vBulletin 3 and IPv6, logging defective?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antiloop
    • Oct 2004

vBulletin 3 and IPv6, logging defective?

Since a little while my ISP provides IPv6 stuff, my site is currently running at both IPv4 and IPv6 (no tunneling)

for the IPv6 users it works like it should, they are not occuring any weird things
    but logging IP does not work as it should, it only captures the first 16 characters of an IPv6 address

is IPv6 still unsupportive? as I can't find anything about it in the manual and at this forum there is less about IPv6 yet

are there things I can change so it will log the complete IPv6 address, which won't be undone during a possible future upgrade ?
    ( for the IPv6 gurus http://forum.chupa.nl )
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Under the current version, the field is not long enough to log an entire IPv6 address. I have already brought this to the attention of the devs.

Comment

• Antiloop
      • Oct 2004

I know varchar in the mysql database has been set to 16, would it workif I set this value to 39 ? or will the forum start to malfunction?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Antiloop
        I know varchar in the mysql database has been set to 16, would it workif I set this value to 39 ?
        It should. But you should backup first.

Comment

• Ralf vd Enden
          • Jun 2000

Change the relevant 'ipaddress' fields in the database and then look for the following line in ./includes/init.php:

Code:
          define('SESSION_HOST', substr(IPADDRESS, 0, 15));
          And change it to:

Code:
          define('SESSION_HOST', substr(IPADDRESS, 0, 40));
          Hope that helps

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...