• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olijo
    • Sep 2006
    • 4.2.x

can't register new user after upgrade vrom vb4 to vb5

Hi there,
    trying to have help cause support doesn't help.
    i migrate a forum with 6 millions posts and 1,7 million users.
    Migration in SSH doesn't report any error.
    Since the mirgation we can't register any new user, each time we try we obtain an error popup message telling this : see screenshot attached.
    Support tell me it's a server problem, but after testing on 3 differents configuration and no log report i supsected an upgrade problem.
    After testing of registration, the user exist in the table but with the password token empty.
    If i truncted the user table : i'm able to register a new user just after...
    Thanks to anybody who can help us to fix this problem.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

That error occurs when the AJAX call to process the registration receives an error. Open the debugger tool (F12) and click Network tab and check what the response for the "/registration/registration" request is.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• olijo
      • Sep 2006
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
      That error occurs when the AJAX call to process the registration receives an error. Open the debugger tool (F12) and click Network tab and check what the response for the "/registration/registration" request is.
      Hi, i've already looked to this we obtain an error 500 or 503 (service unavailable). (see attachment)
      Replicate the site to three different server : LiteSpeed, Apache, Lighttpd : same error
      If i truncated the table user and try again with empty table it works...
      When member (1,7 million users) are present, it stops working, no php error, no database error.
      On server only connection reset by peer.
      Thanks for your inquiry.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

So Support was right. That's a server error. Are you sure there are really no error logs?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• olijo
          • Sep 2006
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
          So Support was right. That's a server error. Are you sure there are really no error logs?
          Nothing, absolutly nothing and tested on three different server
          I'm sorry but i don't understand :
          - removing user from the table of same installation : no error, the registration works, if it is a server problem why it works in this case ?
          Regards,
          Olivier

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Support doesn't help?

We correctly pointed out that it's a server error. I'm not sure what else we can be expected to do, we can't fix issues on the server.

What we can often do, is use the actual error to establish what might be causing the problem and suggest things from there. If the errors are not recorded in the logs, that should be taken up with the host.

The fact it changes if you delete stuff from the database doesn't alter the fact that it's a server error of some sort.

Once we know the full, real error we can try to help.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• olijo
              • Sep 2006
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
              Support doesn't help?

We correctly pointed out that it's a server error. I'm not sure what else we can be expected to do, we can't fix issues on the server.

What we can often do, is use the actual error to establish what might be causing the problem and suggest things from there. If the errors are not recorded in the logs, that should be taken up with the host.

The fact it changes if you delete stuff from the database doesn't alter the fact that it's a server error of some sort.

Once we know the full, real error we can try to help.
              I maintain it's not a server problem.

You said : "The fact it changes if you delete stuff from the database doesn't alter the fact that it's a server error of some sort."
              Sorry but could you explain how it is possible if there aren't user in the database it works and when the users are there it doesn't, it's not like i remove some "stuff" like you said, i can't see any reason about this except two ones :
              - vBulletin 5 can't manage million of member.
              - something in the migration doesn't work
              I can't see any one reason about server side after this test sorry...
              But stay hidden behind this reason, it's good i have my reason to purpose to my customer to switch to xenforo.
              Thanks !

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

The thing is though, the trigger for the error you're seeing at front end is a server error. Or more specifically, it's a generic error generated by the server.

Behind that generic error will be a detailed error. This would normally show in the server logs and once we know what it is, we can usually provide more specific direction, whether that be to change something on the server, or to change something in vBulletin.

Until we have that error, anything else is speculation / stabbing about in the dark. We'd rather give no advice than wrong advice.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• olijo
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  The thing is though, the trigger for the error you're seeing at front end is a server error. Or more specifically, it's a generic error generated by the server.

Behind that generic error will be a detailed error. This would normally show in the server logs and once we know what it is, we can usually provide more specific direction, whether that be to change something on the server, or to change something in vBulletin.

Until we have that error, anything else is speculation / stabbing about in the dark. We'd rather give no advice than wrong advice.
                  Okay, for those who will have the problem :
                  - when you have lot of users like us (1,7 million of users perhaps less i don't know how much exactly) with the actual version of vB (5.2.3) we were forced to increase memory of the server to 2Gb to have it working.
                  - we used cloudlinux and this was the problem to have it not solved quickly, cause after increasing the memory it worked not, but forget to increase the memory on cloudlinux too.
                  Now it works.
                  So the reason is due to bad optimization of query to add user.
                  No logs, no errors excepted a damn connection reset by peer

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by olijo
                    So the reason is due to bad optimization of query to add user.
                    No logs, no errors excepted a damn connection reset by peer

The reason is bad set-up of your server.

There is no such thing as "bad optimization of query to add user", its a simple INSERT.
                    If you dont provide enough memory for it to work properly, then thats not the fault of the software.
                    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• olijo
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Paul M

The reason is bad set-up of your server.

There is no such thing as "bad optimization of query to add user", its a simple INSERT.
                      If you dont provide enough memory for it to work properly, then thats not the fault of the software.
                      [mode ironic]I'm so sorry, i wasn't aware of the such configuration :
                      note for member (be carefull this is in the case to simply register member, not to use the forum)
                      - 0 member : 1Go
                      - 100 members : 2Go.
                      - 1000 members : 4Go
                      - 10000 members : 8Go
                      Etc, each time you add a nul make x2 for memory.
                      Hey and written in the documentation for sure !
                      It's so logical yeah simple insert, so optimized, love it...[/mode ironic off]

This joke said, if it's a simple insert, explain me why with no member we could register and with million member we need more memory. I don't tell to use the forum i say only for register if you have million user you need more than 2Go of memory to simply register new member. My opinion is : it's not logical.
                      But thanks for your "help".

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

The bigger your tables, the more memory MySQL needs.
                        Yes, I'm sure that concept must be shocking to you, its almost like the more water I have, the bigger tank I need, who would have thought eh ?
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment