Best way to upgrade my forum from version 4.2.0 to 5.2.2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avega
    • May 2007
    • 3.5.x

Best way to upgrade my forum from version 4.2.0 to 5.2.2?

Sorry if this is trivial for more than one but it's 3:30 AM and I have been trying to follow the vBulletin documentation and I cannot get it done after many many hours.

Currently I have a 4.2.0 forum up and running and I want to upgrade to the latest version, I bought the new license and downloaded the software.

What is the best way to do this?

1) Create a fresh 5.2.2 installation on a different folder?
    2) Upgrade existing folder with the new version.

I followed all the steps for a new installation but the documentation says that after having all the files and configuration files I need to go to http://www.your-domain.com/forums/co...ll/install.php

I edited that URL with my domain and directory but there is no install.php in the vBulletin I downloaded and it doesn't work.

Seems that the documentation is not fresh and it has outdated information.

Does anybody has an easy to follow tutorial I can follow?

I appreciate all your help.

Thank you,

Arturo
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

The install.php file is actually in whatever/core/install/install.php HOWEVER if your server is setup correctly and URL Rewriting is enabled, as it must be for VB5 to work, then the rewrites should be correctly redirecting your request to the correct file.

In VB5 you're never quite sure where the files really exist on the server, they are not going to be in the folder shown in the URL like in VB4.

Most common issue if you are on an Apache webserver is you need to rename the file htaccess.txt to .htaccess (the leading period is important) and see if that helps.

Comment