• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonaus
    • Oct 2014
    • 5.1.x

Can not install VB 5 Connect

Dear VB Staff,
    Could you please show me how to install VB 5.1.3 which i have just bought yesterday. I try ty find out but it's quite hard, i don't know why have different code if compare with video tutorial from VB.
    Sorry when i am a newbie.

Is it right when i do like that:
    - My website: http://www.aloaus.com
    - Create database in cPanel , i used mySQLwizard. Then, i will have database name: abc,
    Privileged Users
    abc_admin, pass: abc_pass
    - my config.php in root forum is quite new. ( as ref ) --> i didn't see anything to change as a video tutorial.
    - what should i do with config.php in core/includes/ ? ( as ref )
    - Video i followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmCHZvm8j4

Best Regards,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by Mark.B; Fri 31 Oct '14, 3:59am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

You really don't want to be attaching your config files in the forum. I've removed them.

Your database needs to be set up with all privileges. Your hosts should be able to help with this.

You should end up with a database name, database username, and database user password.

You need to rename this file:

/core/includes/config.php.new

To:

/core/includes/config.php

Then you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
    Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
    Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
    Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
    Enter the database password inside the '' marks.

All other fields should be left as default, unless your database is on a separate server, in which case this will need changing:

$config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';

MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by jonaus
      Dear VB Staff,
      Could you please show me how to install VB 5.1.3 which i have just bought yesterday. I try ty find out but it's quite hard, i don't know why have different code if compare with video tutorial from VB.
      Sorry when i am a newbie.

Is it right when i do like that:
      - My website: http://www.aloaus.com
      - Create database in cPanel , i used mySQLwizard. Then, i will have database name: abc,
      Privileged Users
      abc_admin, pass: abc_pass
      - my config.php in root forum is quite new. ( as ref ) --> i didn't see anything to change as a video tutorial.
      - what should i do with config.php in core/includes/ ? ( as ref )
      - Video i followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmCHZvm8j4

Best Regards,
      Jonathan
      To be fair to you, the vB5 manual doesn't tell you how to do this anymore; the vB4 manual used to.

The config.php in the root of your site doesn't need to be changed, other than to change the name (at least on my installation).
      The config.php file needs to be changed in core includes as described by Mark B.
      You must remember to put the .htaccess file in the root of your site. You will see a .htaccess.txt file there as well but that's there so that Mac users can see it. Both the .htaccess file and the .htaccess.txt file are the same except for the file extension. If you are using a Mac you upload the .htaccess.txt file to the root of your site then you rename it .htaccess i.e. you just remove the *.txt file extension.

Comment

• jonaus
        • Oct 2014
        • 5.1.x

Dear Mark.B and JDJ,
        It's really appreciate for your kindly help. I done it. Thank you so much !!!
        I have one more question. When i installed VB 5, it required Admin user and password, and emial . Could i check where i can check inbox of that email when i lost password ?

And is it ok when i deleted entire folder core/install ?
        Thanks,
        Jon

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by jonaus
          Dear Mark.B and JDJ,
          It's really appreciate for your kindly help. I done it. Thank you so much !!!
          I have one more question. When i installed VB 5, it required Admin user and password, and emial . Could i check where i can check inbox of that email when i lost password ?

And is it ok when i deleted entire folder core/install ?
          Thanks,
          Jon
          If you set it the same as the 'technical email' then you would have put that in your core config.php file; so if you know you used the same email address for the technical email as your main admin email then you would try there. Otherwise, if you know the admin name you can login with your username and password, go to

User Settings
          Click the tab saying 'Account'

and you will find the email address associated with the admin user there.

If you've forgotten your Admin password you can use the password reset function to get an email sent to you and just check your inboxes to see which one you used. Or you could register with your forum as a new, different user id and perhaps use the contact form to contact the Admin user.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdj

To be fair to you, the vB5 manual doesn't tell you how to do this anymore; the vB4 manual used to.

The config.php in the root of your site doesn't need to be changed, other than to change the name (at least on my installation).
            The config.php file needs to be changed in core includes as described by Mark B.
            You must remember to put the .htaccess file in the root of your site. You will see a .htaccess.txt file there as well but that's there so that Mac users can see it. Both the .htaccess file and the .htaccess.txt file are the same except for the file extension. If you are using a Mac you upload the .htaccess.txt file to the root of your site then you rename it .htaccess i.e. you just remove the *.txt file extension.

Actually it does but some weird bug is preventing the vBulletin 5 manual from showing to all users. Developers are working on it. This is also described in the vb5readme.html file distributed to the customers.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment