Issues upgrading vBulletin from 4.0.8 to 5.0.5 Patch Level 6. Newly Purchased. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arnotts_IT
    • Sep 2014
    • 4.0.x

Issues upgrading vBulletin from 4.0.8 to 5.0.5 Patch Level 6. Newly Purchased. Please help!

Hi vBulletin Support,

We have been having issues with upgrading vBulletin from 4.0.8 to 5.0.5 Patch Level 6. We have recently purchased v5 and fairly disappointed the upgrade process doesn't work. I have followed all the instructions. Our forum site literrally is now a broken page. During the upgrade we also got multiple MySQL errors. I was lucky to have a backup of the entire website files and MySQL database and rolled back...

Our server is running Windows 2003, IIS 6, with MySQL Server 5.1.51, PHP 5.3.3. forum site is called, lets say vbforums

I did exactly what is in the readme. I tried a number of different ways but I get the same results. We do not have modifications or plug-ins as far as I know

When upgrading from vBulletin 3 or vBulletin 4
    • It is best to upload the files into a new directory.
    • Copy the /upload/ your new html folder. For simplicity's sake, I'm going to assumed it's been renamed and refer to it as /vb5/.
    • Rename /vb5/config.php.bkp to config.php.
    • You can ignore all other values for a basic setup.
    • Rename /vb5/core/includes/config.php.new to config.php and edit it like you would for vB4. (Change the database credentials & database name.). This is similar to how you installed/upgraded vBulletin 3 and 4.

These are the steps I've done

1) My website folder is /vbforums, I deleted all files and folders except customavatars, customgroupicons, customprofilepics, signaturepics (Also tried with a completely empty folder same results)
    2) In /vbforums, I renamed config.php.bkp to config.php
    3) I manually edited the /vbforums/core/includes/config.php, (because the configuration wizard didn't work as it complains about install.php unable to delete and stops there)
    4) Ran http://vbforums/core/install/upgrade.php
    5) After this I get the the prompt window and upgrade button, entered member customer no.
    6) The the nightmare happens....

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.8:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT
    userfield.*, usertextfield.*, user.*, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(passworddate) AS passworddate, user.languageid AS saved_languageid,
    IF(displaygroupid=0, user.usergroupid, displaygroupid) AS displaygroupid,
    language.phrasegroup_global AS phrasegroup_global,
    language.phrasegroup_activitystream AS phrasegroup_activitystream,
    language.phrasegroup_holiday AS phrasegroup_holiday,
    language.phrasegroupinfo AS lang_phrasegroupinfo,
    language.options AS lang_options,
    language.languagecode AS lang_code,
    language.charset AS lang_charset,
    language.locale AS lang_locale,
    language.imagesoverride AS lang_imagesoverride,
    language.dateoverride AS lang_dateoverride,
    language.timeoverride AS lang_timeoverride,
    language.registereddateoverride AS lang_registereddateoverride,
    language.calformat1override AS lang_calformat1override,
    language.calformat2override AS lang_calformat2override,
    language.logdateoverride AS lang_logdateoverride,
    language.decimalsep AS lang_decimalsep,
    language.thousandsep AS lang_thousandsep
    FROM user AS user
    LEFT JOIN userfield AS userfield ON (user.userid = userfield.userid)
    LEFT JOIN usertextfield AS usertextfield ON (usertextfield.userid = user.userid) LEFT JOIN language AS language ON (language.languageid = IF(user.languageid = 0, 1, user.languageid))
    WHERE user.userid = 2 LIMIT 1;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'language.phrasegroup_activitystream' in 'field list'
    Error Number : 1054
    Request Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 11:02:17 AM
    Error Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 11:02:17 AM
    Script : http://vbforums/forum.php
    Referrer :
    IP Address :
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.8:

Invalid SQL:
    SELECT * FROM groupintopic
    WHERE `userid` = 1;

MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.groupintopic' doesn't exist
    Error Number : 1146
    Request Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 12:19:09 PM
    Error Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 12:19:10 PM
    Script : http:///core/install/upgrade.php
    Referrer :
    IP Address :
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database_MySQL
    MySQL Version : 5.1.51-community

Database error in vBulletin 4.2.2:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS postcount
    FROM node;

MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.node' doesn't exist
    Request Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 11:55:10 AM
    Error Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 11:55:10 AM
    Referrer : http://vbforums/core/install/upgrade.php
    IP Address :
    Username :

After some research I discovered this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...o-5-0-5-solved, which addresses "MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.node' doesn't exist", editing /core/install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php
    This means your script is not even correct, how can you expect customers to know this?

For: MySQL Error : Unknown column 'language.phrasegroup_activitystream' in 'field list', I deleted all files under includes/XML under 4.0.8, the error message disappeared.It also disappeared if I upgrade with empty folder of course. Unsure if this is the proper fix, it was from here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...atabase-errors

However, MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.groupintopic' doesn't exist, remains a problem no matter what I tried, I'm unsure if this can be safely ignored.

When the upgrade completes, our forum page is totally broken no images, random links and out of whack....see attachment. It doesn't matter if I have existing files OR start from a clean directory.

I've tried upgrading to 4.2.2 patch 1 first then to 5.0.5 still the same problem. If I upgrade from 4.0.8 to 4.2.2 patch1, I have 0 issues with the above fixes. I expected the product to work out of the box. Same error.

From 4.2.2 patch 1 to 5.05 Patch Level 6 Upgrade with empty folder

Database error in vBulletin 4.2.2:

Invalid SQL:
    SELECT * FROM groupintopic
    WHERE `userid` = 1;

MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.groupintopic' doesn't exist
    Request Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 12:02:02 PM
    Error Date : Monday, September 15th 2014 @ 12:02:02 PM
    Referrer : http://vbforums/core/install/upgrade.php
    IP Address :
    Username :
    MySQL Version : 5.1.51-community

Also I discovered when you restore the MySQL database if you don't drop the schema, the tables that's been added by 5.05 upgrade, will remain eg. /videos/.

I restored the database to 4.0.8, then attempt to run the upgrade again for 5.05 patch 6, it will complain /videos/ exist also gives me the error
    "Action Required
    Unexpected Text:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>"

Then upgrade then stops.

Over the last 4 days I've been trying all different methods (doesn't matter we upgrade to 4.2.2 patch 1 first, empty folder, existing folder) but the forum page is still broken no matter what. I'm extremely frustrated and also discovered that the manager purchased vBulletin 5 under his name, but he is not the technical person to really talk to for support. For submitting tickets that means it will go to his email, this is not ideal. I don't know how to submit a ticket with an alternative contact email as there's only one contact under my manager's name!

We requested my contact to be added, [SID-1296106-2a8628c0], but still haven't heard back. Hence this post. I can only register for premium forum support.

We really need some help on this, else we totally lost faith with vBulletin.

Someone should give us a call and walkthrough the ENTIRE correct process to fix this up. I'm not keen to do this on our production forums, I don't mind creating a test environment.

Also tell us later what we need to the latest 5.1.3 upgrade.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Wed 17 Sep '14, 5:17pm.
  • Arnotts_IT
    • Sep 2014
    • 4.0.x

Hi vBulletin support staff,

Can we get a response on this? It's been more than a week. There's no update at all!

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I would request your webhost upgrade to PHP 5.3.29 or the latest 5.4.x release. Also, oplease try upgrading directly to 5.1.3 instead of 5.0.5

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
        • Sep 2014
        • 4.0.x

Hi we would like to upgrade to 5.0.5, and not 5.1.3 at this stage. According to your 5.0.5 requirements, we have already met those.

Please give proper response, not a typical "upgrade to the latest".

Even if I upgrade to the latest I will encounter the same problems as I mentioned on the intial post.

Your lack of response frustrates us, and you seem not interested in helping.

Very disappointed about your reply. Can you not see I've already told you PHP is already running 5.3.3?

It's not nice to treat a new customer like this.

Do you prefer us to submit a ticket? But you still have not process our request to change/add contacts?

What happened to all the answers to my questions on the first post? You DID NOT answer ANY

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Sorry, you REALLY need to upgrade to 5.1.3, we ONLY support the latest version of the software.

We also no longer support anything lower than PHP 5.3.7 and we highly recommend upgrading to the latest 5.4 release. We do not recommend staying on php 5.3.x any longer. However if you MUST be on 5.3.x it should be at a minimum 5.3.29, we say this for your websites security. 5.3.3 is a horribly horribly buggy release that shouldn't be running in any production environment.

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
            • Sep 2014
            • 4.0.x

In this case, please give us instructions on how to met the prerequisities on 5.1.3, it requires cURL and I can't find information on how to install cURL. Point us to the correct path of upgrading from 4.0.8

Also are you absoluately sure there will be no issues upgrading to 5.1.3 directly?

Because from what I've seen when I upgraded from 4.0.8 as I posted, I encounter the same errors when the progress goes from 4.2.2 to 5.0.5, when I upgraded to 5.0.5 patch 6. I believe even if I upgraded to the latest I will get the same errors on our database and the page would still be blank.

For example, errors like MySQL Error : Table 'vbforums.groupintopic' doesn't exist etc would still be there. How is this MyPHP related? and why would 4.2.2 upgrade works perfectly and things will just break when we upgrade to 5.0.5?
            Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Tue 30 Sep '14, 3:08pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

cURL is installed with PHP. Whoever maintains your server should install this. Instructions to do this are here: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/curl.installation.php. cURL is not needed for a basic installation of 5.1.3 though. It is only needed if you want to use Facebook Connect.

We don't recommend running vBulletin 5.0.5 at this time and you should upgrade to the latest version to prevent errors like the ones you're having. Over time these errors have been fixed in later versions of the software. Bug fixes are not applied to older versions retroactively.

The correct path of upgrading vBulletin 4.0.8 to 5.1.3 is to upload the files on a server that meets our minimum requirements of PHP and then to run the upgrade.php script. You need to be using PHP 5.3.7 or higher. I suggest using PHP 5.4 or higher though. As of vBulletin 5.1.5, we will deprecate support for PHP 5.3.X as it has reached the end of its life.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
                • Sep 2014
                • 4.0.x

Hi, as per your advice. We created a test environment with the following components:-

Windows 2008R2 x64 with IIS 7.5
                MySQL Server 5.151 Community
                PHP 5.6.2 (x86), MSVC11 - working and functional (see Attached phpinfo.zip file)

Same database and website as initial post. We upgraded to 4.2.2 successfully and the forum works fine.

Upgrading to 5.1.3 from 4.2.2

The forum page was fine under 4.2.2, but as soon as I upgrade to 5.1.3 the entire site is broken

I proceed with the upgrade and the upgrade finished successfully. However the page is totally broken. See Attached photo

We requested my contact to be added, [SID-1296106-2a8628c0], but still haven't heard back.

Can I please log a ticket?

We purchased this product for over 1 month and still unable to get it working. Please help!

Attached Files
                Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Sun 19 Oct '14, 8:57pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

That's just css missing.

1. Are the URL settings correct in the admincp?
                  2. Are the URL rewrites working? Did you upload the web.config file?
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
                    • Sep 2014
                    • 4.0.x

Hi

1. The URLs are definately correct I thought we are suppose to start from a clean directory for upgrading from 4.2.2 to 5.1.3? If I rolled back everything (website files and database) back to 4.2.2 everything works. As soon as I upgrade to 5.1.3 all the CSS is broken as you can see. How do I check this? What info do you need?

2. The default web.config file that came with the vBulletin 5.13 package, did not even show the default page to enter Membership No. for me to proceed upgrading. It immediately gives me "Internal server 500 error". Even if I go to http://mysite/core/install/upgrade.php. I'm not sure how you check URL rewrites are working

Hence I didn't use the web.config file within the zip file. We are using IIS 7.5 (attached is the web.config that works, and was working with 4.2.2)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Mon 20 Oct '14, 9:12pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

You can't use anything that you used for 4.2.2. You need to use the file that came in the vB5 download. *NOTHING* that worked with vB4 will work with vB5, they are completely different products.
                      If the default web.config gives a server error, then you need to find out from the logs what that server error actually is. It is, as its name suggests, a server issue rather than a vBulletin issue, though if you post the error up we might be able to point you in the right direction.

As an aside, the "clean directory" thing doesn't mean you need to change where your forum is installed, it just means you need to move all the vB4 files out of it first (excluding any user uploaded content such as avatars and attachments, if they are stored in the file system). Easiest way is usually to drag them all into another folder before you upload the vB5 files.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
                        • Sep 2014
                        • 4.0.x

Hi Mark,

This is the error when we are using the web.config file from your vBulletin 5.1.3 zip package. The content of this web.config says its for compatilbility with IIS, has additional lines compare to the one that works with 4.2.2.

When I did the upgrade, I started with a clean folder (I only kept except customavatars, customgroupicons, customprofilepics, signaturepics folders). If I use the default web.config file in 5.1.3, it comes up with this error I can't even proceed the upgrade wizard.

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Detailed Error Information
                        IIS Web Core
                        Unknown
                        Not yet determined
                        0x8007000d
                        \\?\D:\APPDATA\wwwdata\vbforum\web.config
                        http://vbforum:80/core/install/upgrade.php
                        Not yet determined
                        Not yet determined
                        Config Source
                        -1: 0:

See attached screenshot

I'm running:-
                        Windows 2008R2 x64 with IIS 7.5
                        MySQL Server 5.151 Community
                        PHP 5.6.2 (x86), MSVC11

Our original 4.2.2 vBulletin was on Windows 2003, IIS 6. I migrated the forum website files and database to this new server using a tool IIS Easy Migration Tool. (see attached URL)

This created a web.config file, and it works fine as the page loads, until I replace the web.config file for a 5.1.3 upgrade.

I would think the 5.1.3 web.config has an issue and doesn't work properly with IIS 7.5

Attached are the two files, please assist on comparing and how to resolve this.
                        Attached Files
                        The IIS Easy Migration Tool (IEMT) is a new generation of the IIS Sites Transfer tool. The IEMT helps to migrate web sites from Microsoft Internet Information Server version 6 (IIS 6.0) to IIS 7.5,...
                        Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Wed 22 Oct '14, 3:26pm.

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 4.0.x

Hi Support staff,

Please kindly give us an update on this.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

do you have other web.config rewrite rules in the directory above vBulletin?

Comment

• Arnotts_IT
                              • Sep 2014
                              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                              do you have other web.config rewrite rules in the directory above vBulletin?
                              Hi can you please clarify what you meant by another web.config rewrite rules? We don't have another web.config file above vBulletin folder...

Last edited by Arnotts_IT; Thu 4 Dec '14, 3:43pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...