X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

Can't log in to Admin CP all of a sudden

I can't login to my admincp. An error on top of page shows: Warning: Parameter 3 to vB_Session_Web::getSession() expected to be a reference, value given in .../vb/request.php on line 226

And on the bottom of the page left: = = = =

And I or nobody else can login to the site: Warning: Parameter 3 to vB_Session_WebApi::getSession() expected to be a reference, value given in .../vb/request.php on line 226 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at .../vb/vb.php:1129) in /home/xxx/public_html/includes/vb5/frontend/controller/auth.php on line 61
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Argument 1 passed to vB::setCurrentSession() must be an instance of vB_Session, null given, called in /home/xxx/public_html/core/vb/request.php on line 227'

William
    Last edited by William Thomas Jr; Wed 27 Jul '16, 1:39am.
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

Please disregard, my host upgraded to PHP 7.0.9 from 7.0.7 without telling me.

Comment

• Mattwhf
      • May 2016
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by William Thomas Jr
      Please disregard, my host upgraded to PHP 7.0.9 from 7.0.7 without telling me.
      Are you using a managed hosting service?

Also, why you got that error, as I know, vB5 supported PHP7
      Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
      Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
        • Nov 2014
        • 5.1.x

Yes, I am using a managed hosting service from Siteground.
        Last edited by William Thomas Jr; Wed 27 Jul '16, 3:50am.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

I recall there were issues in php 7.0.8 and upwards that are resolved in vB 5.2.3.

This could be one, but it would be worth logging it in the tracker so the devs can check it out.
          Last edited by Mark.B; Wed 27 Jul '16, 3:39pm.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Maltair
            • Feb 2009

Having the exact same issue - hostgator upgraded to PhP 7.0.9 So what is the solution?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MDawg
              Having the exact same issue - hostgator upgraded to PhP 7.0.9 So what is the solution?
              It's a confirmed bug: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-16318
              At this point, the only fix is to revert back to at least php 7.0.7.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Maltair
                Maltair commented
                Editing a comment
                I voted for the bug but hope that 5.2.3 will work with PhP 7.0.9 or higher.
            • Maltair
              • Feb 2009

I voted for the bug. Will it be fixed in vb 5.2.3 ? I hope so - because on my shared hostgator server there was no way to revert to 7.0.7 If I want PhP 7 on my shared server I must have 7.0.9

So for now, I had to revert all the way back to PhP 5.6.24

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                William Thomas Jr commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm in the same boat. I had to revert back to PHP 5.6. I had my host install PHP 7.0.8 but the site wasn't even able to display. I didn't know it would work with PHP 7.0.7. I'm not going to ask them to install PHP 7.0.7 if within days or a week there is going to be a fix in Vbulletin!

MDawg, you may want to have your server taken off "auto" update. My hosting company did to prevent this from happening again. It was responsible for auto updating PHP versions.

William
            • Maltair
              • Feb 2009

Thanks. Well, the way it works on my server is that I specify what version of PhP I want, and if I specify 7, I just get whatever the latest is - currently on my server, sadly, they have no way for me to pick between PhP 7 versions...right now, it's either the latest, or back to Php 5.6
              Last edited by Maltair; Thu 28 Jul '16, 9:13am.

Comment

• Maltair
                • Feb 2009

Will this issue be resolved in 5.2.3 - will it work with PhP 7.0.9 ?

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  • Apr 2010

Maybe don't be in such a rush to "upgrade" to the newest version of everything. It takes time for these things to catch up with one another.

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm now requesting that my host downgrade PHP to PHP 7.0.7. I didn't want to request this if the bug would be fixed by official release of 5.2.3. We'll see if my host will do it. They already had downgraded PHP to 7.0.8, but I didn't realize at that time it too was incompatible.

• William Thomas Jr
                    Editing a comment
                    My host rolled back my PHP to 7.0.7. No problems ..... I must say that after using PHP 7, 5.6 was unbearable (slow).

• Maltair
                    Maltair commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DC not sure if you even followed this thread. Those experiencing this issue did not upgrade to PhP except with the assurance from vbulletin that vbulletin is PhP 7 compatible, which it has been, until now. We've been running on PhP 7 for months now. With many hosting servers we don't have the option of picking any version of PhP we want - it's 7 or 5.
                    Last edited by Maltair; Fri 29 Jul '16, 10:12am.
                • Kevin Sours
                  Lead Developer
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 5.5.x

Setting display_errors off in your PHP ini should mitigate this problem. The problem appears to be that the warning output is interfering with sending the cookie headers (but for some reason only for FCGI).

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                    Editing a comment
                    Didn't work for me Kevin. Avatars etc would not display, and still couldn't log in.
                • Mackey
                  • Mar 2014
                  • 5.1.x

Just got the same error myself today. Thanks for starting this thread William.
                  Had to revert php as Maltair did.
                  sucks.
                  Last edited by Mackey; Thu 28 Jul '16, 3:35pm.
                  ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com

Comment

• Maltair
                    • Feb 2009

Some of us prepay hosting for years at a time, so simply switching is not an immediate option. Also, if we are on a certain host (in my case Hostgator), it is because that host has worked well for us over the years.

It is up to vbulletin to work with the latest PhP if it is claiming that it works with PhP 7 then it should work with whatever the latest version of PhP 7 is.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MDawg
                      Some of us prepay hosting for years at a time, so simply switching is not an immediate option. Also, if we are on a certain host (in my case Hostgator), it is because that host has worked well for us over the years.

It is up to vbulletin to work with the latest PhP if it is claiming that it works with PhP 7 then it should work with whatever the latest version of PhP 7 is.
                      That's great in principle, but when new versions of php are released that contain changes that break parts of our product, we can't just magic up a fix out of nowhere. It needs to be investigated, a fix written, that fix extensively tested to ensure it doesn't break anything, etc.

A good host would not secretly upgrade php the moment a new version is released. That too needs to be planned and notified.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                        Editing a comment
                        Couldn't agree more. Siteground had my sever on an "auto" update for PHP. After this incident they removed the auto update feature from my server, and downgraded the PHP to 7.0.7. They resolved the issue.