Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SFX
    • Jul 2014

I can't see comments in templates

I recently upgraded to vBulletin 5.1.4 Beta 1 and I have a common problem also experienced in vBulletin 5.1.3

Look at the picture below:

The second option is configured with a YES, therefore the source code of my forum should show the name of the HTML templates commented when are loaded.

But it really seems that this configuration is not working, because in the source code of my forum I can't see these comments.

Perhaps necessary to conduct some other extra configuration, I hope you can help me.
  • SFX
    • Jul 2014

Bump, anyone can reply me?

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I'm not sure this facility actually works in vB5.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Replicant
        • Sep 2014

this is what shows in 5.1.3 when it is turned on on my system. </html><!-- END: footer --><!-- END: screenlayout_2 -->

Comment

• SFX
          SFX commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, but in my forum these comments do not appear, so how is it supposed to manually edit the templates to my liking if I can not know what templates are certain parts of the forum?
      • Replicant
        • Sep 2014

These are the screen layouts in 5.1.3, 5.1.4 has a lot more available with the 3 column format.
        screenlayoutid title
        1 layout_full
        2 layout_wide_narrow
        4 layout_narrow_wide

Comment

• SFX
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Replicant
          These are the screen layouts in 5.1.3, 5.1.4 has a lot more available with the 3 column format.
          screenlayoutid title
          1 layout_full
          2 layout_wide_narrow
          4 layout_narrow_wide
          I don't quite understand what you mean, could you explain better?

For example, if I want to edit the meta tags of vBulletin, how to know what template I have edit?

Comment

• Replicant
            • Sep 2014

This is the info the option you asked about provides.
            This is the help quote from 5.1.3:
            Admin Help
            Add Template Name in HTML Comments
            When modifying templates, it is often helpful to have this setting enabled so you can view the source of a page to determine what template(s) control it. In the course of normal usage, however, you will usually want this disabled as it will increase your page sizes and therefore bandwidth usage.
            This is the info we are given by this option.

I am currently seeking more info on the subject.

Comment

• SFX
              • Jul 2014

Exactly! I need to see the comments in the templates to manually edit my forum, and I mean issues that can not be done with Site Builder.

Although, I have the option to display comments on the templates in the source code, comments are not displayed which hinders me a lot when trying to edit.

So, what happened here? why the comments don't appear?

Regards.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Have you tried disabling all modifications?

Are you using a default style?

After you changed the option, did you click Maintenance > Clear System Cache before refreshing the page and viewing the page source?

Do you have any server caching going on - xcache, memcache, etc?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• SFX
                  • Jul 2014

I have this problem since I updated to vBulletin 5.1.3 and now I'm in vBulletin 5.1.4 Beta 1 problem persists.

I have no plugin installed, my update of vBulletin is clean, I haven't erroneous changes in the templates, and yes I am using the theme defaul.

You could check the source code of my forum, this is my forum: http://www.fromend.com

On clear the cache on the forum, I'm not sure to do this, because I read that perform this task brings problems login forum users whenever an administrator enters the admincp. Look at this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...e-out-of-doubt and http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12289

So, unless you confirm me to run this maintenance task will not cause serious problems on my forum, I will not do it.

Regards.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Do you have any caching going on on your server? Do you have any entered to be used in your /core/includes/config.php file?

Can you please make a totally default style selectable to Unregistered users. Create a new style with no parent:
                    • Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
                    • Parent Style: No Parent Style
                    • Title: Default vBulletin
                    • Allow User Selection: Yes
                    • Save

Set this as the default in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Styles & Languages > Set Default Style. Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• SFX
                      • Jul 2014

I have made the creation of a new style as you suggested.

Still, the problem persists, you can check the source code of my forum to check.

The new style is vBulletin Test

Well, my config.php file is clean, I haven't made ​​edits to core files vBulletin.

So, my forum use CloudFlare, for security, but I doubt that's the problem, because then how I can protect my site distributed attacks?

Regards.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Please disable cloudflare and see if the problem persists.

Comment

• SFX
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Lynne
                          Please disable cloudflare and see if the problem persists.
                          You were right, I turned off CloudFlare and now can clearly see the comments in the templates from the source code.

However, it is inconvenient to do these steps each time you want to edit my forum, what do you think is the reason why with CloudFlare enabled comments are not displayed?

I hope that in future versions of vBulletin this is solved, CloudFlare is a system of protection and optimization website, so it would seem strange if you blame to CloudFlare of this defect, since every website should ensure good performance with CloudFlare enabled.

Regards and solved, thanks

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

Cloudflare works just fine for most forums. It's when it isn't configured correctly that it causes problems. So, I would suggest talking to your host about the issue and see if they can help you configure it correctly.

Comment

• SFX
                              SFX commented
                              Editing a comment
                              when I had CloudFlare with the same settings, in other CMS and even in vBulletin 4, the comments in templates appear correctly in the source code.
                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...