X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allanh
    • Apr 2003
    • 3.6.x

vBulletin 5.... so slow

I have been a user of vBulletin for nearly 11 years now and I have run several forums in the past. I must say that it has been the industry-leading forum software for as long as I can remember.

Recently, I bought a new vB5 license and did a fresh install. I thought it looks nice. However, after reading through all the reviews, I must say it is disappointing and scary to envision what future holds to my forum if I stick to VB5.

I must say the most worrisome thing is the SPEED. Even on vBulletin.com, the site is laggy and slow, comparing to IPB & Xenforo. Is there any hope that new patchs in the near future will fix the SPEED issue and all the bugs that others mentioned? I am about to pay a professional designer to customize my forum and I dont' want to invest more on this software if issues are not going to get resolved.

So far, I still think vB5 looks the best and looks most professional (comparing to the other 2 forum softwares) and so if there is still hope, I would like to stick around.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by allanh
    Is there any hope that new patchs in the near future will fix the SPEED issue and all the bugs that others mentioned?
    Of course there is a hope for that!
    It''ll happen when it'll happen.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• allanh
      • Apr 2003
      • 3.6.x

the question is how long will it take? if it's 1 or 2 months, it's bearable. If longer, I might have to move

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

the question is how long will it take? if it's 1 or 2 months, it's bearable. If longer, I might have to move
        Good question.
        Soon(TM)

Comment

• allanh
          • Apr 2003
          • 3.6.x

Actually, I am feeling almost like to take the plunge and change to Xenforo now.... browsing this forum is so painful (laggy). Especially considering this forum is vanilla with no add-ons

Comment

• durruti
            • Jan 2012
            • 4.1.x

I am about to pay a professional designer to customize my forum and I dont' want to invest more on this software if issues are not going to get resolved.
            Wait until 5.1.0 ( soonTM ) first.

Comment

• allanh
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.6.x

Thanks for your advice. However, I would like to hear from the developers when this might happen. Currently, I haven't seen one single positive review of vBulletin 5 on the net so far. So discouraging.

Comment

• durruti
                • Jan 2012
                • 4.1.x

Thanks for your advice. However, I would like to hear from the developers when this might happen. Currently, I haven't seen one single positive review of vBulletin 5 on the net so far. So discouraging.
                How about this:

Originally posted by Dominic
                CMS will be released with vBulletin 5.1 which will be released this year.
                You can't purchase vB without a particular function. Blogs, Forums, Groups, CMS are channels and part of the core software. However you can disable access for user to this channels.
                You could buy the cms alone without purchasing other products (blogs + groups + forums)? When it will be launched vBulletin cms 5? ;)

Nothing encouraging and certainly don't expect anything spectacular but at least something to hold on to.

Comment

• allanh
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.6.x

I see. I hope vBulletin will do something drastic before I jump ship, which won't be long the way things are looking.
                  In the meantime, I am testing out xenforo and IPB.

Comment

• dizzynation
                    dizzynation commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Doesn't bother them, you already paid for your vb5, they don't care what you do now. Its sad.....
                • beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

I hope vBulletin will do something drastic before I jump ship,
                  Throwing out vB5 and start working on vB4 and vB6?

Comment

• rudedog1968
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 3.8.x

You should have seen these forums a few months back. You think this is slow (which it is). Not sure why anyone would purchase a new lic of vB without reading reviews on sites, where you can actually read the feedback (unlike this site that hides the lic feedback from public view)
                    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• allanh
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by rudedog1968
                      You should have seen these forums a few months back. You think this is slow (which it is). Not sure why anyone would purchase a new lic of vB without reading reviews on sites, where you can actually read the feedback (unlike this site that hides the lic feedback from public view)
                      The reason was because I trusted vBulletin, based on my knowledge of them from 2006 (when I last admin an active board). Back then, vB was THE definite premium board..

Never could I imagine how they fell and the fact that I just found out half of the developers I knew have left.....

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

The reason was because I trusted vBulletin, based on my knowledge of them from 2006 (when I last admin an active board). Back then, vB was THE definite premium board..

Never could I imagine how they fell and the fact that I just found out half of the developers I knew have left.....
                        All the developers (at least the original group) have left. Not one original vBulletin 2.x or 3.x developer is around here.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• audiokid
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 4.1.x

I see. I hope vBulletin will do something drastic before I jump ship, which won't be long the way things are looking.
                          In the meantime, I am testing out xenforo and IPB.
                          I hate trashing vb, it saddens me and I'm sure I'm not alone on this either, reading so much negativity about a product we've all invested in. But, I am disbelieving this will ever amount to much here. What is wrong with the designers here. Vb5 is so unwelcoming. I'm most likely migrating over to xenForo shortly. PLEASE, convince me not to do this?
                          Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                          created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• DaSpamer
                            • Feb 2013
                            • 4.2.X

Me personally, really like vB5.
                            I'm facing slow loading, bugs, and some other features that I'm not capable.
                            But It's cool to me, since it's still in beta.

When vBulletin 5 will be at it's final, it'll be a blast.
                            I use vBulletin to allow user to discuss about whatever they want (but many of them simply don't..), and to update information and any add-ons I made to my product, and to handle subscription and obtain user data.

If they said vBulletin 5.1.0 should get out this year, then it should be released in like 2>? months?

Comment