Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeltaHawk5
    • Sep 2012

Go To Page Issue and SEO

Wouldn't the current issue (or is it a feature?) that causes all threads to direct to page one regardless of which post you try to access be an SEO nightmare?

It sounds to me like this will cause a catastrophic increase in bounce rate for any site that chooses to upgrade.
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by DeltaHawk5
    Wouldn't the current issue (or is it a feature?) that causes all threads to direct to page one regardless of which post you try to access be an SEO nightmare? It sounds to me like this will cause a catastrophic increase in bounce rate for any site that chooses to upgrade.
    It's a huge problem. Search engines cannot get past page 1. I just loaded up Firefox with user agent set to Googlebot 2.1 and Javascript disabled on a multi-page thread and you cannot get to page 2 (or any other page) of any thread.

Installing vBulletin 5 would be SEO suicide.

Comment

• Erel
      • Apr 2007

Search engines cannot get past page 1
      Not sure that you are correct. Googling for "I'm sure the vBulletin team are working very hard to fix bugs" returns the page where you posted this sentence (page 3 of a long thread).

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I also did test where I put content on a 2nd page and Google managed to find it.

In google search for: zzzhk1018ihyh6542

It's only on page 2 of a Frank Sinatra thread here. (until now)

I was curious myself about this.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Page linking is actually an issue that is currently being improved upon.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Joe D.
            I also did test where I put content on a 2nd page and Google managed to find it. In google search for: zzzhk1018ihyh6542 It's only on page 2 of a Frank Sinatra thread here. (until now) I was curious myself about this.
            Uhmm... I think I know why Google has "caught" your post. What Google does, I believe, and also in the case above, is to visit your profile and follow the links it finds there, including the link to your Sinatra post.

When you analyze how Google has captured vbulletin.com, you see that many if not most search hits end with the post id. So yeah - why don't you disable user profiles for all guests and/or bots, and see what is left of vBulletin indexed on Google.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Well that is a possible explanation for sure, thank you for bringing it up. They are working on improving SEO anyway.

Although my Sinatra link when found in Google does NOT have a postid on the end of it.

My belief is that Google sees all the posts as being on page 1.

Comment