X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Crook
    • Mar 2012

Problems having deleted core* files

Hello,
    I have a problem with having inherited a vBulletin version 4.1.8 when the previous owner died suddenly
    As such I don't have access to all of the files

I foolishly added a cron job to delete all core* files not realising that vBulletin uses files with names matching core*

Is there any way to get them back?

Thanks

Steve
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Yes, login to the members area, download the software, and re-upload the files.

I'm completely baffled why you would add such a cron job, ever, but I guess you learned a lesson - dont delete stuff unless you know what you are doing
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Steve Crook
      • Mar 2012

Part 2 is, after downloading the zip file, where do I start unzipping it from?
      The instructions aren't at all clear

I have downloaded the Update vBulletin Scripts from https://members.vbulletin.com
      But nothing that I can see tells me where to start upzipping them from

The document at http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade_patch_level says:
      you will notice that there is no upload folder.
      But looking at the zip file they all start with do_not_upload/ or upload/

Thanks

Steve

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You would go to the location that you downloaded them to and unzip them in that location. We don't know where you would have stored them on your computer though. Once unzipped, you would upload the files in the upload folder to your web server. You shouldn't be looking at patch files at this time.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Steve Crook
          • Mar 2012

Any clues as to where I should copy everything in the upload directory to?
          Is there anything I should look for to identify the base directory?

Thanks

Steve

Comment

• Steve Crook
          • Mar 2012

OK, thanks. So it's RTFM

Steve

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Specifically, this page should help:
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Steve Crook
              • Mar 2012

Thanks, I read that. But it doesn't say where you should be when you unzip the patch file or where you should copy the contents of the upload directory to.
              I realise that it's system dependent but as I said, I inherited our system when the previous manager died suddenly. I don't know where he put everything.
              Isn't it possible to do by using find to find something unique and then saying which path in that result should be used?

Thanks

Steve

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Steve Crook
                Thanks, I read that. But it doesn't say where you should be when you unzip the patch file or where you should copy the contents of the upload directory to.
                I realise that it's system dependent but as I said, I inherited our system when the previous manager died suddenly. I don't know where he put everything.
                Isn't it possible to do by using find to find something unique and then saying which path in that result should be used?

Thanks

Steve
                The cntents of the upload folder need to go into the folder where your forum is.

www.domain.com/board - it goes into /board
                www.domain.com/forum - it goes into /forum

If the forum runs on the root domain (www.domain.com) with no subfolder, then it goes into the root on the server...usually called www or public_html or http_files.

Etc

Note that it's the contents of the upload folder, not the upload folder itself.

MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• Steve Crook
                  • Mar 2012

I don't seem to have anything called 'board' anywhere on the system

[root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name board
                  [root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name boards
                  [root@server72 Britmovie]#

I have a directory called 'forums'

[root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name forums
                  /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums

I've been copying the contents of the upload folder (the files in that folder, not the folder itself) to /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/ and that seems to adjust the vBulletin version number

Thanks

Steve

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                    William Thomas Jr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is correct. You want to upload to the directory where your forum is located in. Some of us do not have a forum directory, we have uploaded our site to the root directory (public_html).
                • Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

I don't seem to have anything called 'board' anywhere on the system

[root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name board
                  [root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name boards

I have a directory called 'forums'

[root@server72 Britmovie]# find / -name forums
                  /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums

I've been copying the contents of the upload folder (the files in that folder, not the folder itself) to /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/ and that seems to adjust the vBulletin version number

Thanks

Steve
                  Yes... We use "Boards", "Forums", "vBulletin_root" as place holders because each one of our thousands of customers has a different setup. This is why we don't tell you what directory to upload to. We don't know. If you're vBulletin directory is called forums, then you would upload the contents of the upload folder to that location.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Steve Crook
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Yes... We use "Boards", "Forums", "vBulletin_root" as place holders because each one of our thousands of customers has a different setup. This is why we don't tell you what directory to upload to. We don't know. If you're vBulletin directory is called forums, then you would upload the contents of the upload folder to that location.
                    Couldn't you pick on some file that is in everyone's system and then build up the base directory from there?
                    Then you could tell people to copy the contents of the upload folder to there

Steve

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Couldn't you pick on some file that is in everyone's system and then build up the base directory from there?

Steve
                      That wouldn't work because people like to choose the location of their forums on the server. They don't want to have the URL dictated to by us.
                      The directory you use on the server becomes part of your URL.

Not to mention that there are no drectories that are on everyone's system that could be used. Each server system is different, and even then people configure them in different ways.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Steve
                        If there was some directory used on everyone's system then yes. It would make things a lot easier for us.

There are literally thousands of ways servers can be configured and then the site owners get involved and have their own specific layout. Some install vBulletin in the root of their website. This could be the public_html, www, htdocs, httpdocs, httpsdocs, docs, or html directory. Well those are the common ones. It could be some completely different directory. Then when you store the files they could be in the c:/inetpub/www/, /var/www/sitename/, /home/username/www, or many other places. Then some people want it installed in a subdomain or subdirectory of their choosing: community, discussion, forum, forums, etc...

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...