X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gabegard
    • Jun 2014
    • 4.2.X

Attachments showing as links

I am running a 4.2.2 Patch Level 4 board that has developed a problem in the past couple of weeks. Attachments that are uploaded directly to the server are showing up as links, rather than inline as configured (see attached photo).

We have been online for nearly a year with the site configured as below and had no issues until now:

vBulletin Options > Message Attachment Options > View Attached Images Inline > Yes, full size

Nothing has changed on our end since we upgraded to PL 4 several months ago. The problem first occurred over a week ago, and I fixed it by changing the above setting to Yes, display thumbnails, and then back to Yes, full size. When I do this, the links go away and the photos appear with a refresh of the browser. Things were fine for about a week, and the problem came back again. Now for the last three days, when I go online in the morning I find that the problem has occurred (we have daily photo threads). I'm glad to have a workaround, but clearly it is not acceptable to have to have to fool around with the site settings every day to keep the photos from disappearing.

Any pics hosted offsite that are inside IMG tags work fine, this is only a problem with uploaded attachments. Also, when this occurs, you can click the link and the photo opens in a new window, so it is not a problem with the attachments themselves.

I've searched around and not seen this exact problem, nor do I have any idea how to figure out the root cause. Any ideas?
  • chriske
    • Oct 2008

I have the same problem (4.2.2 Patch Level 4). Rebuilding attachments did not solve the problem. Subscribed to your topic, please let me know if you have fixed the problem.
    Please vote for:
    - Lightbox for all uploads
    - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by gabegard
      I am running a 4.2.2 Patch Level 4 board that has developed a problem in the past couple of weeks. Attachments that are uploaded directly to the server are showing up as links, rather than inline as configured (see attached photo).

We have been online for nearly a year with the site configured as below and had no issues until now:

vBulletin Options > Message Attachment Options > View Attached Images Inline > Yes, full size

Nothing has changed on our end since we upgraded to PL 4 several months ago. The problem first occurred over a week ago, and I fixed it by changing the above setting to Yes, display thumbnails, and then back to Yes, full size. When I do this, the links go away and the photos appear with a refresh of the browser. Things were fine for about a week, and the problem came back again. Now for the last three days, when I go online in the morning I find that the problem has occurred (we have daily photo threads). I'm glad to have a workaround, but clearly it is not acceptable to have to have to fool around with the site settings every day to keep the photos from disappearing.

Any pics hosted offsite that are inside IMG tags work fine, this is only a problem with uploaded attachments. Also, when this occurs, you can click the link and the photo opens in a new window, so it is not a problem with the attachments themselves.

I've searched around and not seen this exact problem, nor do I have any idea how to figure out the root cause. Any ideas?
      Are you using GD or Imagemagick?

Also when you change the thumnail settings, are you rebuilding the thumbnails afterwards? This needs to be done even if you set them to show full size.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• gabegard
        • Jun 2014
        • 4.2.X

Mark, I am using GD and I did not rebuild the thumbnails at all. I just change the setting from full size to thumbnails and save. When I go back to the page and refresh, the links disappear and are replaced by thumbnails. Then I go back into the settings and change it to full size and save again, and the full inline pics are back. Strange, but it definitely works as I've done it several times when the problem has occurred.

Chriske, I realized after I made this post that my other admin had updated the Tapatalk Plugin recently. I removed that update and rolled back to an old TT version that I had saved, and we have not had a problem since. I can't say that is the source of the problem as this is somewhat intermittent, but if you have version 5.5.7 it couldn't hurt to downgrade and see what happens. I will say that the problems with links appearing did not seem to have anything to do with TT from the standpoint that all members saw the links instead of the pics, no matter how they viewed the site or how the attachments were uploaded.

Originally posted by Mark.B

Are you using GD or Imagemagick?

Also when you change the thumnail settings, are you rebuilding the thumbnails afterwards? This needs to be done even if you set them to show full size.

Comment

• Rafah
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.0.x

Suscribed, I have the same problem, I am GD installed and the problem is the same

Comment

• gabegard
            • Jun 2014
            • 4.2.X

Just to follow up with my status on this. I can not be sure, but the problem seems to have been related to the Tapatalk plug-in. Their support would not confirm or deny that others had the issue, but I installed version 5.5.8 six days ago and have not had any problems as of yet. I'll report back to this thread if any issues arise.

Comment

• Rafah
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.0.x

I have tested editing the post and inside the edit box the thumbnail show correctly, but when I save the post after editing the thumbnail dissapear and only show the link to picture.
              Next Monday I will install Imagemagick library in the server, I actually use GD, so I will can test If the problem is GD library
              Last edited by Rafah; Fri 21 Aug '15, 10:15am.

Comment

• Rafah
                • Oct 2011
                • 4.0.x

I have rebuild al Attachments after change to Display thumbanils Yes, Full Size, and now I can see it in the post.
                Now I have tested that If I upload an image from the image icon in ck editor through the dialog box, in the post I only view the link to the image.
                After I have edited the post, deleted the attached image and open the Manage Attachments Option Box, and I have inserted the attached image previously deleted and now is visible directly in the post!

Update:
                I have unistalled Tapatalk plugin and deleted all directory and the in line attachments is visible again, after I reinstaled the new version of this plugin 5.5.8 like Gabegard user said, I can still viewing the attachments.
                Last edited by Rafah; Sat 22 Aug '15, 8:03am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...