Install Error - 500 Internal Server Error.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DylanDuffy
    • Nov 2012
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Install Error - 500 Internal Server Error.

Hi.

I have just bought vBulletin and am trying to install it.

I'm not too sure what's going on to be honest.

Any vBulletin Page I go to (install.php) just directs me to a 500 Error.

The Error_Logs read
    [Thu Nov 08 19:41:50 2012] [error] [client 92.24.198.42] SoftException in Application.cpp:256: File "/home/personal/public_html/index.php" is writeable by group
    [Thu Nov 08 19:43:32 2012] [error] [client 92.24.198.42] SoftException in Application.cpp:256: File "/home/personal/public_html/install/install.php" is writeable by group

This happens no matter what?

Could I get some Advice.
    Thanks!
  • LockedOnLaw
    • Apr 2010
    • 6.X

A 500 error usually indicates an issue with the server. Contacting your hosting provider might be more beneficial than having people here make blind guesses as to the specific issue.

Comment

• DylanDuffy
      • Nov 2012
      • 4.2.X

Hi. It's a Dedicated Server managed by Myself.

I am quite good at these things but "SoftException in Application.cpp:256" isn't ringing any bells.

Thanks

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

What permission do /index.php and /install/index.php have? They should have 644.

Here you can read more about your server issue and how to fix it: https://www.jamit.com.au/support/ind...barticleid=233
        No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• paulnicholson
          • Mar 2010

Change permissions on the install folder and install.php file to 0755 on your server.
          Last edited by paulnicholson; Wed 29 Jan '20, 10:01am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            775 seems overly broad for permissions on files.
        • Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

In addition to the suggestions above, make sure your files are owned by the web server user for the site. This may be different than the user used to uploaded/copied the files to the server. Especially, if you're using some varety of SUExec.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• paulnicholson
            • Mar 2010

I read somewhere that unzipping files from a zip file destroys the chmod permissions that were initialy assigned to them somehow. I also read that unzipping on your hard drive, the FTPing all the files to the server (hours) rather than uploading the zip file to the server and unzipping it on the server (seconds) is the correct way to do it for some reason.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The ZIP file will have permissions assigned to it when it is created and/or uploaded to a server. The contents of the ZIP file will not have these permissions and will not necessarily inherit permissions from the ZIP file during extraction. This will depend on your specific server's configuration. Changing the permissions once the files are on the server will depend on the specific server OS and the tools provided by the Hosting Company.

It is correct that uploading the files as a single compressed file will use less time. On some third-party servers, like those provided by GoDaddy, this is really the only way to upload the files without spending hours of time. This is also a server configuration issue but is also limited by your own internet connection.

With vBulletin 5.5.0 and higher, we have added an additional option to alleviate upload times. Customers can download the majority of the vBulletin application as a PHAR file. This is a compressed file that doesn't need to be extracted on the server. The concept is similar to Java's JAR file format. PHP knows how to read individual files within the PHAR for execution. This allows us to consolidate many files into a single file.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment