X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottt
    • Feb 2010

"New Posts" sorting choice ......

Hi everyone ....

I currently have the first selection checked in general setting under this heading I have typed in red >>>

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
    1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
    2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
    3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

So when people log in and click New Posts, only those that are actually new show up - lets say 2 pages of posts for example.

While I was on another site last week I noticed they are using selection 3. So basically after those 2 pages of new posts it will then continue to list threads that are not new but contain unread posts. I like this feature - HOWEVER ..... when I use this selection and someone replies to a thread it is no longer instantaneously updated.

My question is - Can I use selection 3 and have replies updated instantaneously - so if someone replies and then hits new posts again their newest reply goes to the top? It's a very social board and people want to stay up to date with certain topics. Just wondered if I have access to change the "Refresh rate" or something while using selection 3?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If someone replies and then hits new posts, then their reply won't appear, since by definition they have already read it - so it's not an unread post.

To get this you should use Today's Posts rather than New Posts.
    The difference her is that all threads will show up....unread ones in bold, read ones unbolded.
    So in your scenario here, the person making the post would see their post as the most recent reply to the thread, which would b up at the top of the list, but the title would not be bolded.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 2 Oct '14, 4:30am.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Scottt
      • Feb 2010

Thank you Mark. I appreciate the quik reply!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...