Huge PHP Error: use mysqli or PDO instead ??????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedvs
    • May 2002
    • 3.6.x

Huge PHP Error: use mysqli or PDO instead ??????

This happened suddenly today...

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead
    /home/xxx/public_html/ forums/includes/class_core.php on line 317

The board is just erroring all the time with this.
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

Try putting an "i" at the end of mysql in config.php like so:

Code:
    //    ****** DATABASE TYPE ******
        //    This is the type of the database server on which your vBulletin database will be located.
        //    Valid options are mysql and mysqli, for slave support add _slave.  Try to use mysqli if you are using PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1+
        // for slave options just append _slave to your preferred database type.
    $config['Database']['dbtype'] = 'mysqli';

Comment

• thedvs
      • May 2002
      • 3.6.x

thanks donald that has worked, but why would I suddenly be getting that error after 2 years of hosting without that problem?

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

Your host probably upgraded his mysql server, newer versions use msqli (the "i" stands for improved) so you should get better performance.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

vBulletin doesn't support PDO. You must use MySQLi. The mysql extension will be removed from PHP in future versions.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by thedvs
            thanks donald that has worked, but why would I suddenly be getting that error after 2 years of hosting without that problem?
            It means they upgraded your php version to php 5.5, without informing you apparently.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M

It means they upgraded your php version to php 5.5, without informing you apparently.
              This is a possibility as php5 no longer works with mysql but there is nothing to stop a host upgrading the database to mysqli without touching PHP, indeed I use mysqli with PHP3.3

Comment

• Paul M
                Former Lead Developer
                vB.Com & vB.Org
                • Sep 2004

There is no such thing as "upgrading a database to mysqli", so no host could perform such an action.

I seriously doubt you are using php 3.3 either.

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                  There is no such thing as "upgrading a database to mysqli", so no host could perform such an action.

I seriously doubt you are using php 3.3 either.
                  You can upgrade your mysql database to a mysqli database in easyapache simply by ticking the "i" box, done it many times.

Thanks for pointing out my obvious typo, actually I upgraded to 5.4 last night.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by donald1234
                    You can upgrade your mysql database to a mysqli database in easyapache simply by ticking the "i" box, done it many times.
                    All this does is add the mysqli libraries to PHP. It doesn't actually upgrade databases and MySQL doesn't change. The only thing that changes are the libraries available in PHP.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

mysqli is just the way PHP communicates with the MySQL database, it does not change the database itself.

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by donald1234
                        No, you cannot upgrade your database - all that does is change the client library you use to connect. It makes no changes to the database.

Comment

• energetic-forum
                          • Jan 2017
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

All this does is add the mysqli libraries to PHP. It doesn't actually upgrade databases and MySQL doesn't change. The only thing that changes are the libraries available in PHP.
                          I'm upgrading 4.2.2 to 4.2.5 - I notice in the config.php that it has mysqli instead of mysql. It will be upgraded to the latest 5 at some point soon.

So if my server is upgraded to add the mysqli option, then would my other vb 3.8.8 site still work since it uses mysql? Sounds like it would, but just want clarification. That site will be upgraded to the latest 5 soon as well.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

The versions of PHP supported by vBulletin 4.2.5 and higher do not support the mysql library. You must have the mysqli library installed in PHP.

You should use mysqli with vBulletin 3.8.X as well. You will need to upgrade that site to at least vBulletin 3.8.11.

Please note that with the release of vBulletin 5.6.0 next year, the minimum required version of PHP will be 7.2.X. Neither vBulletin 3 or 4 support this version of PHP.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• energetic-forum
                              • Jan 2017
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              The versions of PHP supported by vBulletin 4.2.5 and higher do not support the mysql library. You must have the mysqli library installed in PHP.

You should use mysqli with vBulletin 3.8.X as well. You will need to upgrade that site to at least vBulletin 3.8.11.

Please note that with the release of vBulletin 5.6.0 next year, the minimum required version of PHP will be 7.2.X. Neither vBulletin 3 or 4 support this version of PHP.
                              What is the upgrade sequence to prevent any crashing for vbulletin, php and mysqli?

If just mysqli is added/upgraded on the server, will the vb 3 and 4 continue to work since they are mysql? If so, that seems to be the first step on the path to upgrading.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...