X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimnyc
    • Aug 2003

[Forum] Loading pages with Youtube videos

Running version 4.2.2

This is an issue I've always experienced and chalked it up to too many videos. Suppose I have a thread in where members can post videos of "what are you listening to now", and then you have perhaps 15 youtube music videos per page. This seems to make the pages load very slowly.

Is this normal? Is there any way to increase performance in loading these videos on the site? Lastly, would it go slower and slower as the thread goes on?

The reason I ask is that a few members are stating they have similar threads at quite a few sites, and that the slowness/crawling only happens on my site. What I mean by slowness is that when you first click on the page, it'll crawl for anywhere from 5-15 seconds as it buffers the videos, then you can scroll the page without issue until you play one. But until it does that, you're at the mercy of waiting!

Thanks!

-Jim
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

How are they inserting the videos on your site? The video tag or some other means? What is the quality and size of the videos?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jimnyc
      • Aug 2003

Generally via HTML (I know, a dumb security move) and some still used the video tag. The quality is usually normal at 640x480. Would using HTML over the video tag and inserting the URL make it slower when loading many videos per page?

Thanks much!

Comment