• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valerios
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Notify a new entry in the post before post the reply

Hello!

Imagine Usera A and User B are reading the same post and both decide to reply.

User B Write the answer and post the reply while User A is still writing.

When User A post the Reply the system inform the User with a message:

" Some one else replied to the post, do you want to edit yours?"

or similar,

so it inform the user that at the same time someone else already replied and it can be included into his the reply or... modified.

Vbulletin has this function?
    VOTE ->Allow to rotate and tag the album pictures
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Official vbulletin Italian Group on vbulletin.com, Join us HERE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Helping people to settle in Australia:
    www.australianboard.com
    The community of the people that dream Australia:
    www.australianboardcommunity.com
  • josiah
    • Nov 2008
    • 4.1.x

Daftest idea I have ever heard, if we all edited our posts with regard to previous posts more time could be spent reading than writing, leave it to the readers to decipher and draw information from each and every post................

PS..I hope no one else has posted this while I have been writing it !!
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by josiah1
        Daftest idea I have ever heard, if we all edited our posts with regard to previous posts more time could be spent reading than writing, leave it to the readers to decipher and draw information from each and every post................

It is a function in SMF that people seem to really like for some reason. I've never quiet understood why.

Comment

• valerios
          • Jan 2010
          • 4.1.x

Daftest idea I have ever heard,
          Do you mean stupid?

if we all edited our posts with regard to previous posts more time could be spent reading than writing, leave it to the readers to decipher and draw information from each and every post................

No, simply it ask if you want to edit your post based on the new entry or just leave like that, it is an option.
          If you don't like... just do not use it... easy

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
          Steve, I hate you when you answer with the automatic reply !

Originally posted by Zachery
          It is a function in SMF that people seem to really like for some reason. I've never quiet understood why.
          Not only on SMF also on phpbb and mybb, I can understand that you don't like it but in my opinion it is a good thing check if someone else reply before me, maybe i need to wuote something or add another detail.
          It is good instead of open another post or edit the previous one!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          www.australianboard.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by valerios
            Steve, I hate you when you answer with the automatic reply !
            Even if it's the exact answer to your question? Would you prefer I not answer your posts at all?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• valerios
              • Jan 2010
              • 4.1.x

I was joking Steve !
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              www.australianboard.com

Comment

• GHST
                • Dec 2006
                • 4.1.x

There is a livefeed add-on at vb.org that automatically shows posts as they come in on a thread.

However, I do agree that vb refresh notifications to bring us into current web standards.

Comment

• josiah
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by valerios
                  Do you mean stupid?
                  No I do not, I am not here to insult anyone . To the detriment of someone learning English, one word can have many meanings depending on its context. By daft I meant unreasonable / unneccessary / timewasting Etc.
                  Some posts can take quite a while to compose, having compiled such a post or whilst doing so, it would be very annoying to be constantly interupted with messages informing you of new posts which may contain similar information to that which you have written, what to do ?.
                  Start again ?, no of course not just re-read and edit out that which has been mentioned whilst you toil.....off you go ..edit..edit..edit...........right ! that's it ...looking good ...........Oh sh*t..another message, some one else has posted one of the facts in my post, Oh well lets do it again...
                  knock..knock..someones at the door....(5 min later)
                  The entire content of the post you had drafted has now been put on by others...........what fun...
                  <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean that others don't also.

valerios - if you feel that this should be considered for a future version of vBulletin, please feel free to post this in the Tracker as a Feature Request so that our management team can give this consideration.
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• TWood
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 4.1.x

josiah1 -

On the boards where I've seen it, it doesn't automatically interrupt you while you are composing a post. It gives notice after you hit the 'post' button and gives you a chance at that point to re-edit. I guess it's an anti-ninja feature for posts. Which will eventually lead to the anti-anti-ninja Mod....
                      shout street
                      willful stupidity

Comment

• valerios
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by GHST
                        There is a livefeed add-on at vb.org that automatically shows posts as they come in on a thread.

However, I do agree that vb refresh notifications to bring us into current web standards.
                        Well a Live feed is a different from the concept i was trying to explain...
                        By the way I always consider that some things is better to have and decide to do not use it instead to want them and don't have it.

No I do not, I am not here to insult anyone . To the detriment of someone learning English, one word can have many meanings depending on its context. By daft I meant unreasonable / unneccessary / timewasting Etc.
                        Infact i wasn't accusing it was a question because i'm not an english native, so that word wasn't in my vocabulary...I learned something new.

Some posts can take quite a while to compose, having compiled such a post or whilst doing so, it would be very annoying to be constantly interupted with messages informing you of new posts which may contain similar information to that which you have written, what to do ?.
                        Start again ?, no of course not just re-read and edit out that which has been mentioned whilst you toil.....off you go ..edit..edit..edit...........right ! that's it ...looking good ...........Oh sh*t..another message, some one else has posted one of the facts in my post, Oh well lets do it again...
                        knock..knock..someones at the door....(5 min later)
                        The entire content of the post you had drafted has now been put on by others...........what fun...
                        No i don't mean that, maybe you never wrote in a forum that use smf or phpbb, otherway you'll understand what i was meaning.

Imagine this scenario:
                        User A create a new topic " the car that i like";
                        User B, YOU, D, and E, start to replied to the post.
                        You are writing " I prefer the supercars because..."

While you where writing as soon as you press the submit button it appear a message like:
                        User B already posted : " i like the Porche! "
                        User D already posted : " Porche are Crap they always break the clutch, much better the BMW "
                        User E already posted : " i Hate cars"

So now if you want, you can edit your reply and add : " ...I likes the ferrari, but the porche are great too, I never heard about the clutch problem, USER E why you hate cars?
                        So It allow you to adapt straight away your post before the final submit if you want, there are no poup messages in javascript that every post notify you, you will know only at the end just before submit.

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                        Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean that others don't also.

valerios - if you feel that this should be considered for a future version of vBulletin, please feel free to post this in the Tracker as a Feature Request so that our management team can give this consideration.
                        I will, but my english is still poor !

Originally posted by TWood
                        josiah1 -

On the boards where I've seen it, it doesn't automatically interrupt you while you are composing a post. It gives notice after you hit the 'post' button and gives you a chance at that point to re-edit. I guess it's an anti-ninja feature for posts. Which will eventually lead to the anti-anti-ninja Mod....
                        Anti ninja? What ?

Damn I should study some English common saying !
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        www.australianboard.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...