Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title - How do I disable it completely?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Git
    • Jan 2008

[Forum] Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title - How do I disable it completely?

I can see that the standard registered users group has a defualt time limit of 5 minutes within which they can edit the title of a thread they have started. However, other than setting this to something ridiculous like 6 months (what is that in minutes anyway?) how can I disable this for registered users.

I would ahve thought that setting it to 0 would disable it completely (isn't that the normal method) but it does not.

I run a hobby board and my members might start a thread about a project which is a 'Work in Progress' but as it progresses (sometimes over days, weeks or even months) they would like the ability to change the title of their own threads to reflect the changes that are occuring within. This is something that's do-able on other forum software and indeed it doesn't afflict the moderating staff, so there must be something that can be set to turn it off for registered users too?
  • punchbowl
    • Nov 2006
    • 4.0.x

I don't think there is an option BUT you can put in a huge number:

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
    If you are within this time limit then you can edit the thread title by editing the first post in the thread:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

Note that a value of 0 does not make it unlimited, but rather it makes it so users can never edit their thread titles. If you want it effectively unlimited then you need to set it to a huge number, like 999999999.

Otherwise admins and mods can use the Edit Thread option from the Thread Tools menu. Regular users cannot access this option.

Comment

• Old Git
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for the speedy reply Punchbowl. It seems a bit of an oversight to not allow it to be disabled. But then the more I think of it the more I good reasons for setting a large number, like 6 months (which incidentally is 267840 minutes, give or take a slight correction), beyond which members cannot edit the thread title.

Comment

• punchbowl
        • Nov 2006
        • 4.0.x

horses for courses - some forums like to have it a short amount so that people don't spitefully go back and destroy their threads just because they're in a mood one day and want to have a big drama as they leave (although I suppose the post-edit history circumvents that a bit)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...