• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Patten
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

[CMS] CMS Style Problem, Still!!!

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone can help, ive just installed a fresh copy of VB 4, and im still having problems with the CMS.

Firstly, this is my second VB install, on two diffrent servers, and for two diffrent people. But this seems to be worse out of the two.

The main problems are with the style in the CMS, first being that you can't change the CMS style from the "VB Default Style" even by setting the other style to the default style, it won't change.

The second problem being that the sections side bar, and the home part in the middle are right up against each other, where there should be a gap.

Here is the link: www.yorkcityfc.com/beta

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Andy
  • ercule
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.1.x

For your first question concerning styles in CMS, I had the same problem a few days ago and got the answer

Originally posted by setishock
    To the right of the title of the cms is the edit pencil. Click on that. On the next screen in the left column is a set of controls. One of them is the selection for the style you want to use for the cms. Make sure you hit save before you exit out of the screen.
    If you select "inherit" the CMS will take the forum selected style.

Comment

• Andy Patten
      • Nov 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for that ercule, much appreciated

Anyone have an idea about the other one?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

I can't see your Home page. I don't think you have permissions turned on for Unregistered users.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Steve Richards
          • Jul 2006

The main problems are with the style in the CMS, first being that you can't change the CMS style from the "VB Default Style" even by setting the other style to the default style, it won't change.
          I'm having this issue aswell, I've searched high and low, and the only advice I get is ' delete the default vBulletin skin '

Doesn't help as I have multiple skins, ones in use, others in live development.

Comment

• nakedanvil
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Steve Richards
            I'm having this issue aswell, I've searched high and low, and the only advice I get is ' delete the default vBulletin skin '

Doesn't help as I have multiple skins, ones in use, others in live development.
            Read post #2!

Comment

• Steve Richards
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by nakedanvil
              Read post #2!
              You know, this might surprise you, just maybe, but I already done that :shock horror:

It would seem that no one, anywhere, at any time considered that vBulletin's ' broken ' ability to use multiple themes, might of been something we may of wanted to use?

Telling it to inherit the skin, only inherits the DEFAULT skin, not the skin the user is using.

Now that it's all spelled out, and I apologise for the irateness, but not everyone on the internet is a complete idiot.

The bottom line is, vBulletin CMS theme, for the ' home ' tab / page, does NOT correctly set the theme based on the ' users ' preferences, only, and ever, the defaults of the site, or as set by the little edit pencil, which as soon as a user uses a different theme, its all broken again.

So that's it in more detail, the problem twice, lets hope someone can help

Comment

• bszopi
                • Nov 2009
                • 4.1.x

Set it to Inherit, clear the CMS Cache in the ACP, and then reload. It inherits whatever theme the user is selected to. The issue is, if the user changes styles while browsing, the CMS theme won't change right away.

Comment

• commandermadi
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 4.2.X

Just do not set it to Inherit, set it to the theme that you want! I did that and it is going fine with me.

Comment

• nakedanvil
                    • Mar 2010

I agree, if it is set to "inherit" it will use the style the user chooses. Works that way for me and I just tested it. If it is set to "board defaults" then it will use, well, board defaults.

See post #2. There is no "broken ability to use multiple themes".

Comment

• Steve Richards
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by bszopi
                      Set it to Inherit, clear the CMS Cache in the ACP, and then reload. It inherits whatever theme the user is selected to. The issue is, if the user changes styles while browsing, the CMS theme won't change right away.
                      OK, thanks, this helps once we get round to testing it.

The question I guess to be asked, is why doesn't it update right away with the rest of the site, why will it require the ACP cache clearing every time?

Comment

• nakedanvil
                        • Mar 2010

It shouldn't require a CMS cache refresh every time, just when you change the setting in the section editor.

Comment

• setishock
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 4.2.x

It's a timed event. Once an hour I think it is. Jobs are spread out over time.
                          You just don't want all the jobs happening at once. Otherwise your forum would slow down to a snails pace and your host might get their knickers in a twist for you using up so much cpu time.
                          So when working on the cms from the front or back end it's just a click to refresh and see what you've been working on.

Comment

• bszopi
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 4.1.x

The CMS is heavily cached to cut down on the number of queries to the database. You should also be able to close your current browser tab, open a new one, and load the page to see the changes.

Comment

• ywwz
                              • Jul 2009

thank you! solved my prob.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...