X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jagtpf
    • Feb 2015
    • 3.8.x

Upgrading after a test forum

There's a lot in various guides on how to create a Test Forum, prior to upgrading - in our case from v3.8.7 to v4.2.2.
    Plugins will likely involve some hard work.

As I recognise, testing is done on a copy of the Current Forum, which will, also, presumably include making necessary changes.
    All this happens whilst as the Live Forum stays open.

How does one, then, get from the Test Forum to the Live one - that I haven't, yet, found an answer to.

With the work involved it surely doesn't mean making all the changes on the Test and then have to repeat all those changes to bring the Live one up
    to the same standard? That's the bit I'm struggling to understand at the moment.

Would a kind soul point me to where I can find the answer.

Thanks in antic....

p.s. Have the files in v4.2.2 been updated so the download includes the recent Security Patches?
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

I would use the test upgrade as a dry run so you can see what works and what doesn't and once you are happy with the test forum, you can upgrade the live one. The main thing to remember is to do a full backup of the 3 forum so you can restore if you run into problems.

The latest version of 4.2.2 (PL4 I think) has all the patches.

If your PHP is later than 5.4, you will need vbulletin 4.2.3

Comment

• jagtpf
      • Feb 2015
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by donald1234
      I would use the test upgrade as a dry run so you can see what works and what doesn't and once you are happy with the test forum, you can upgrade the live one. The main thing to remember is to do a full backup of the 3 forum so you can restore if you run into problems.

The latest version of 4.2.2 (PL4 I think) has all the patches.

If your PHP is later than 5.4, you will need vbulletin 4.2.3
      Oh Flip - One of the reasons behind upgrade was to cater for our Host wanting to upgrade to PHP5.5.

I don't recall seeing an option for any version higher than 4.2.2 on the download section. Runs to check.

SO if I read you correctly.
      I make all the changes necessary on the Test Forum in order to get it to work.
      AND then replicate that work on the Main Forum?

This is the 'bit' that's not clear in any of the guides I've read regarding 'creating a test site' prior to upgrade.

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

Yes you can do the "testing" on your test forum just to be sure everything is ok before messing with the main forum.

4.2.3 is still beta http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...4-is-available
        but is stable enough for production use.

Comment

• jagtpf
          • Feb 2015
          • 3.8.x

Yes you can do the "testing" on your test forum just to be sure everything is ok before messing with the main forum.

4.2.3 is still beta http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...4-is-available
          but is stable enough for production use.
          Thanks - It's the replication of work that I needed to confirm - which in itself is a daunting prospect.

Comment

• donald1234
            • Oct 2011
            • 4.1.x

It just depends how confident you are I suppose, if you think you can get it done without a test site, fair enough. As long as you have a backup.

Comment

• jagtpf
              • Feb 2015
              • 3.8.x

It just depends how confident you are I suppose, if you think you can get it done without a test site, fair enough. As long as you have a backup.
              Och ! Noooo... Shudders at the thought of getting it wrong.

Test first, then replicate the work ....

Thanks for your guidance guys ,.... much appreciated ....

Comment

• jagtpf
                • Feb 2015
                • 3.8.x

Everything went moderately smoothly. Following guides; a backup database was used to populate a new database, and vB4.2.3 files were downloaded into a sub-domain on our Server. (sub-domain as per Hosts instructions).

However the end stage of installation should have taken me to admincp, but it hasn't. All I have is a blank screen with a yellow background. No matter what URL I put into the browser window I cannot get to admincp! I've double-checked entries in config.php and anything else to see if there's anything obvious.
                No error messages.
                I can see "Index of /" in the browser with two subfolders (cgi.bin & "name of test forum").

Any thoughts kind people?

The main/live Forum continues as it should - unaffected! (phew!)
                Last edited by jagtpf; Sat 23 May '15, 12:07am.

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Do you have a link to your test forum. I normally would just put it in a folder eg yoursite.com/test

Comment

• jagtpf
                    • Feb 2015
                    • 3.8.x

test is a folder on mysite.co.uk

The Host suggests prefixing for access;

thus www. test.mysite.co.uk/

test is setup as a sub-domain under mysite.co.uk

unable to get access whether test is pre- or suff-.

adding /admincp gets me no where fast.

Wonder if I need to re-install again ?

Edit 0: All except images re-loaded.

Edit 1: Changing the password in the config file generates a database error. Thought it might just be case sensitive, probably not.

Edit 2: Adding full forum path in config also didn't solve.

Edit 3: Had already emptied as per instructions, but after browsing this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...oit-discovered - deleted "install" folder. No change.
                    Last edited by jagtpf; Sat 23 May '15, 2:07am.

Comment

• donald1234
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 4.1.x

You can't have www.test.yourdomain.com that is two subdomains, it is test.yourdomain.com. You will need to go straight to admin test.yourdomain.com/admincp and change the URL settings.

Comment

• jagtpf
                        • Feb 2015
                        • 3.8.x

You can't have www.test.yourdomain.com that is two subdomains, it is test.yourdomain.com. You will need to go straight to admin test.yourdomain.com/admincp and change the URL settings.
                        Thanks

Have just tried that, makes no difference.

All I'm getting in all attempts is mostly blank screen; but occasionally the vB icon on URL line. ....

Frustratingly !

Comment

• donald1234
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 4.1.x

Edit the upload folder by changing it to test and upload it to the root of your forum (where admincp, archive etc is on your live forum) then visit www.yoursite.com/test

Comment

• jagtpf
                            • Feb 2015
                            • 3.8.x

Edit the upload folder by changing it to test and upload it to the root of your forum (where admincp, archive etc is on your live forum) then visit www.yoursite.com/test
                            I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your instruction.

The upload folder was renamed during the install, to testforum(say).

The directory hierarchy is currently

/home/blahblahblah/public_html/
                            all the live forum folders & files plus
                            testforum/
                            all the test forum folders & files

Are you saying move testforum to /home/blahblahblah/ ?

Comment

• jagtpf
                              • Feb 2015
                              • 3.8.x

Given the server structure I have, could it be a problem in the Test Database at AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact details ? If so, what should be there!
                              The Live Forum has www.forumname.co.uk... so the Test should have ? TEST/xtestx.forumname.co.uk/ blah@ ... ?

It's easy enough to go back and re-do everything, it's a learning exercise if nothing else....That plus following one particular which made no mention of changing
                              this setting, whilst another guide did. And as far as I can see from my progress notes, that's the only thing I may have omitted during the process.

thanks for your help all ....

Comment