• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dknelson99
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Site Down...please help

What can cause this type of error?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/global.php on line 76

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 55

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 107

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 111

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 119

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 130

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 134

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 142

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 211

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/init.php on line 389

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dknelson/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 5098

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/dknelson/public_html/global.php:76) in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3161

• dknelson99
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Sorry, I found the problem after doing some more searching. Had to remove the ? mark beside the = sign in those lines. According to the documentation here, I shouldn't have had to with version 5.3.29 which I am using but it seems to have solved the problem.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

You shouldn't edit the files. You should upgrade to 3.8.8.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dknelson99
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

You are probably right. Money is tight though.

Comment

• dknelson99
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.8.x

I do have a question though. In the members area downloads, it says "vBulletin 3.8.7 - 3.8.8 requires PHP 5.2.0 or greater". Isn't that a bit misleading when 5.3.29 crashed my site? Is this also a problem with 4.2.2? I run it on another site.

Also, what does spending over $200.00 on 3.8.8 get me that editing the files didn't cure?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

What version of PHP are you on, and what version of vBulletin are you trying to run?

Comment

• dknelson99
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.8.x

3.8.7 PL4 and PHP 5.3.29 I got my site going again by editing the above files and it's working great. I still wonder about the questions that I asked though.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

If the PHP Notices/Deprecated display was turned off you wouldn't need to edit the files- that said editing the files will be all that you need to run 3.8,7 on PHP 5.3.x. If you ever upgrade to PHP 5.4.x or beyond you'll likely need VB 3.8.8 or 3.8.9.

Comment